Apply for World Trade Organization (WTO) Young Professionals Programme 2022 as portal opens. WTO Young Professionals Progamme Application is ongoing till deadline.
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. At its heart are the WTO agreements, negotiated and signed by the bulk of the world’s trading nations and ratified in their parliaments. The goal is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible.
Applications are invited for:
Title: World Trade Organization (WTO) Young Professionals Programme 2022
Job Requisition ID: JR100806
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Job type: Full time
Contract Type: Young Professionals
What is WTO Young Professionals Programme 2022?
- The Secretariat of the WTO is seeking candidates for the World Trade Organization Young Professionals Programme for 2023.
- The WTO Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a unique opportunity for qualified young professionals up to the age of 32 years, as at 1 January 2023, from WTO Members with low or no professional representation in the WTO Secretariat, to enhance their knowledge and skills on WTO and international trade issues.
- The Programme aims to widen the pool of professionals from these WTO Members, who can later be more competitive with respect to recruitment in the WTO and/or other regional and international organizations.
- This programme offers selected young professionals with the opportunity to gain work experience in the WTO.
- The selected Young Professional will be placed in a specific Division of the WTO Secretariat in accordance with the needs and priorities of the Organization; and based on the identified areas of interest of the Young Professional. Each Young Professional may express interest in not more than three areas of WTO work; and in order of preference.
The areas of work may include, inter alia, the following (in alphabetical order):
- Climate change
- Council and Trade Negotiations
- Digital Trade
- Dispute Settlement
- Economic Research and Statistics
- External relations
- Government Procurement
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Investment Facilitation for Development
- Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs)
- Market Access (tariffs and non-tariff barriers)
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary measures
- Technical Barriers to Trade
- Trade and Development
- Trade and Environment
- Trade Facilitation
- Trade Finance
- Trade and Gender
- Trade in Services and Investment
- Trade Policy Analysis
- Trade-Related Technical Assistance.
- Trade Remedies (anti-dumping and countervailing duties)
WTO Young Professionals Programme 2022 Required Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree in Economics, Econometrics, International Relations, Law, Environment Studies, or other trade-related subjects relevant to the work of the WTO and/or ongoing discussions in the WTO (e.g. international investment law, trade and gender, etc.).
- Applicants must have obtained their advanced university degree by the time they submit their application.
- Minimum two (2) years of professional experience relevant to the work of the WTO.
Knowledge and Skills:
- General knowledge of the work of the WTO.
- Technical knowledge in one or more of the areas of work indicated above.
- Good drafting skills in English. Ability to draft in French and/or Spanish would be an advantage.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated strong interest in international trade and the multilateral trading system.
- Commitment and passion for trade or WTO-related work.
- Fluency in English. A good working knowledge of either French or Spanish would be an advantage.
Preference shall be given to nationals from WTO Members without any representation as well as from developing and least developed countries (LDCs) Members with low representation (one or two staff members) at the professional level in the Secretariat (list below). Particular attention will be given to developing and LDCs WTO Members that have not participated in previous cohorts of the YPP (marked with an asterisk in list below).
Afghanistan, Albania, Angola*, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela*, Plurinational State of Bolivia*, Botswana*, Brunei Darussalam*, Burkina Faso*, Burundi*, Cabo Verde*, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic*, Chad*, Chile, Congo*, Democratic Republic of the Congo*, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Djibouti*, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Eswatini, ,Fiji, Gabon*, Gambia*, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada*, Guatemala, Guinea*, Guinea-Bissau*, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong China, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica*, Jordan*, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait*, Kyrgyz Republic*, Lao People’s Democratic Republic*, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macao China, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia*, Maldives, Mali*, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius*, Moldova*, Mongolia, Republic of Montenegro, Mozambique, Myanmar*, Namibia, Nepal*, Nicaragua, Niger*, NIGERIA, North Macedonia, Oman, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Qatar*, Rwanda*, Saint Kitts and Nevis*, Saint Lucia*, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa*, Saudi Arabia*, Senegal*, Seychelles*, Sierra Leone*, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Solomon Islands*, South Africa*, Sri Lanka, Suriname*, Chinese Taipei, Tajikistan, Tanzania*, Thailand, Togo, Tonga*, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates*, Uruguay*, Vanuatu*, Viet Nam, Yemen*, Zambia, Zimbabwe*.
NB: NIGERIANS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY
Application Closing Date
11th May, 2022.
WTO Young Professionals Programme 2022 Salary
Successful applicants will enjoy a monthly salary of CHF 4,000/ USD 4,120
How to Apply for World Trade Organization (WTO) Young Professionals Programme 2022
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply to this Programme.
- The WTO may use various communication technologies such as video or teleconference for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. The recruitment process may also involve the use of various forms of testing, assessment centres, interviews and reference checks.
- Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.
- All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the closing date – Geneva (Switzerland) time – stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- The WTO is a non-smoking environment.
- All Applications must be accompanied by a Cover Letter of Motivation, which should indicate up to three areas of work (see details under general functions), in order of preference, that the applicant would be interested in. Applications with no accompanying letter of motivation will not be considered.
- All Applications must be accompanied by a Cover Letter of Motivation, which should indicate up to three areas of work (See Details Under General Functions), in order of preference, that the applicant would be interested in. Applications with no accompanying letter of motivation will not be considered.
- The recruitment policy of the WTO is to seek to attract and retain staff members offering the highest standards of competence, efficiency and integrity. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the WTO gives full regard to merit and diversity.