World Bank Group Young Professionals Programme 2022 (WBG YPP) – Application for World Bank Young Professionals programme is ongoing as World Bank YPP portal opens. Scroll down to see World Bank Young Professionals programme Requirements, application process and how to apply for WBG YPP.
The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
World Bank Group Young Professionals Programme 2022
Title: Young Professionals Programme (WBG YPP)
- The World Bank and IFC have merged their respective Young Professionals Programs into one World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP).
- The new program is now accepting applications on behalf of three institutions (the World Bank, IFC and MIGA). Building on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs, the WBG YPP will recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across our institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
- Young Professionals are recruited from around the world, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries and countries of operations. We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply. We invite you to browse this website and explore the many opportunities of joining the WBG YPP.
About World Bank Young Professionals Programme 2022
- The WBG YPP is a two-year leadership development program at the start of a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA.
- Young Professionals (YPs) start the program in Washington, DC, where they engage in intensive training on-the-job and in the classroom learning the fundamentals of leadership and development operations across institutions, and how to identify opportunities for joint impact.
Key Program Features
- Professional Experience YPs are full-time employees, making significant contributions to their respective unit’s work program, while building networks and knowledge across the Bank Group through the YPP. They often join field missions, where they work on the frontlines of WBG operations, learning key aspects of our work and directly engaging with our clients.
- Leadership Development Through the WBG YPP curriculum, YPs develop the foundational knowledge to contribute to our business and the competencies to lead. Activities range from leadership and professional development workshops to networking, mentorship and conversations with WBG leadership.
- Training on WBG Policies, Products & Operations YPs engage in intensive training on the policies, products and operations of the World Bank, IFC and MIGA. This aspect of the WBG YPP curriculum ensures that YPs know how to operationalize joint WBG solutions to development challenges, and how to retain and apply this knowledge for years to come.
- Global Rotations across WBG YPs participate in at least one rotation within their home institution, with some engaging in additional rotations to another institution, with the goal of developing and applying skills across the business. Rotations are a core component of the curriculum, providing YPs the exposure to understand how our institutions work (and can work together) as well as how to align their skills to priority areas, like countries affected by fragility, conflict and violence (FCV), and other challenging environments.
- Coaching & Mentoring YPs are assigned several mentors at the peer and departmental level. Mentors can provide advice on various topics ranging from settling into Washington, DC to identifying career opportunities throughout the YP experience, and beyond.
- Networking Events In addition to the program orientation and graduation ceremonies, the WBG YPP office organizes regular events for YPs to stay in touch with program alumni, stakeholders and broader WBG staff.
- Management Supported Rotations & Job Placements YPs are provided management-level support in their transitions to rotations and post-YPP job placements, ensuring their skills are best placed across the business.
Requirements for World Bank Young Professionals Programme 2022
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must:
- Be born on or after October 1, 1990
- Have a Master’s Degree or Doctoral Degree
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level
- Be fluent in English.
- The Bank’s Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
Graduate Degree Requirements:
- For World Bank placement: Complete a relevant Master’s Degree by September 2022 or PhD before September 2023. Fields of study should be related to a World Bank Business Area.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by September 2023. Fields of study should be related to an IFC or MIGA Business Area, including but not limited to a Master’s of Business Administration (or equivalent), Economics, Finance, International Relations, Science and Engineering.
Professional Experience Requirements:
- For World Bank placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement, communication and team leadership skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant sector trends.
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Compensation & Benefits
- The WBG YPP offers a competitive salary and benefits package as part of a 5-year term contract.
- Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines.
World Bank YPP Application Deadline
15th July, 2022.
How to Apply for World Bank Group Young Professionals Programme 2022
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
World Bank Group Young Professionals Programme 2022 Application Checklist
- Academic Credentials*
- 1 Short Essay
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates, only if applicable)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations.
Short Essay Question
Please answer the following (in 750 words or 4,500 characters or less):
- Given the current global context, how can the World Bank Group help our country clients support and reach a green, resilient and inclusive development? Please include rebuilding on progress lost on the WBG’s twin goals over the past few years, as it relates to your area of work.
The World Bank Group is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments. To ensure the safety of our current and prospective staff, YPP interviews will be conducted virtually and may include:
- Pre-recorded interview (on Hirevue)
- Live panel interview
- An assessment center, where you will be asked to participate in individual and group exercises
- Timed computer-based financial tests (IFC candidates).
- Before applying, ensure that you meet all eligibility requirements and have reviewed the application checklist below, for required material.
- Applications must be completed by 11:59 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on the last day of the application period.
- On the application, candidates must select the institution that they believe best aligns with their skillset (the World Bank, IFC or MIGA). Duplicate applications will not be reviewed and will not increase one’s chances of selection.
- Applicants who are invited to interview will be provided with more detail as the process moves along.
- Candidates are assessed based on experience, technical expertise, and competencies such as client orientation, leadership and communication.