Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WatSan Supervisor
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
- We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this.
- We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Supporting the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (Watsan) Manager in the implementation and supervision of Watsan activities, including tools and materials employed according to MSF standards and protocols, in order to improve health and living conditions of the target population.
- Ensuring the day-to-day implementation and administration of assigned Watsan activities at project level, including but not limited to, water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, vector control, and dead bodies management
- Ensuring that the MSF procedures and protocols are followed by the Watsan teams to guarantee the operational quality of the project;
- Ensuring the maintenance and repair of technical equipment in the project to guarantee an adequate running of Watsan activities;
- Ensuring the distribution of the materials and tools used in water treatment, hygiene and sanitation (e.g. physical organization and inventory of stocks, receiving and processing orders for water, sanitation and hygiene material, check that the amounts received are recorded, and check monthly consumptions, etc.)
- Supporting the Watsan Manager in ensuring an appropriate emergency preparedness and response capacity (physical verification of stocks, contacts, transport means, staff training). Ensuring appropriate assistance to the project response team and if required, participating in emergency activities or exploratory visits.
- Supporting the Watsan Manager in the team planning (e.g. staff rosters and admin, HR processes, etc.) and informing and involving the Watsan Manager in case of any major management or technical issue, and providing all required reporting
- Planning and supervising the HR processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, tasks definition and internal and external communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activity
- Participating in data collection and reporting as required.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Management of technical WatSan components in the hospital, guesthouse warehouse and support for ITFC; specifically with a focus on sanitation, water supply, hygiene and vector control. Participates in elaborating WatSan strategies and response plans including resources in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams.
- Provides support to the logistical and medical teams in identification, implementation and monitoring of the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities in and outside health structures according to the protocols of MSF (e.g. essential Water and Sanitation requirements).
- Collaborating with Ministry of Health to ensure the hospital facility and departments and compound are clean at all times using MSF protocols. This includes support for the ITFC.
- Ordering and management of WatSan materials according to need, ensuring tracking of consumption and reporting on monthly basis.
- Support the Health Promotion team in hygiene promotion activities in the health facility.
- As member of the Infection Prevention Control Committee, participating in and supporting the development and following up the Infection Prevention Control Action Plan. A particular support might be required to assure that environmental control measures are defined to address infection control issues related to patients with highly infectious diseases.
- Data Reporting: Ensure timely data report for Health Information System, LRT, SIPCA and Monthly Report to the MTL & Mission WatSan.
- Ensure timely cleaning and maintenance of all water filter types, water storage tank/reservoirs, sanitation facilities and waste zone.
- Ensure maintainance of all functional hand washing point in the health facility. Raising awareness amongst MSF beneficiaries and training personnel on the importance of hygiene and sanitation. This includes proper waste management in the hospitals, hand washing, food hygiene, safe water chain, warning on dangerous or toxic areas etc
- The Watsan Supervisor ensures that all SOP and universal precautions are in place and followed. He/She identifies the needs for trainings and discusses those with the supervisor. In addition, she/he to supports the IPC supervisor to ensure that all IPC components are up to date in the health structures.
- The Watsan Supervisor reports to the line manager on any concerns related to water supply, hygiene and sanitation, technical equipment, support structures and suggests solutions.
- Training- He/she provide training for hospital cleaners and on-the-job support for hygiene agents.
- Collaboration: He/she collaborates with the watsan supervisor of the emergency pillar during emergency reponse
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
- Technical Diploma, desirable specialization in water and sanitation.
- Minimum of 2 years experience.
- Previous experience in technical works and organizing of multiple activities, preferably within MSF or similar work environment.
- Mission language essential, local language desirable
- Computer literacy
- Result and Quality Orientation, Team work and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- NO Transportation and NO per diems will be provided during the recruitment procedure
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. No face-to-face contact or phone contact will be considered.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization