The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Technical Assistant
Job Identification Number: 6090
Location: Monguno, Borno
Job Category: Health and Nutrition
Reporting Line: Field Coordinator, Nigeria
Duration of contract: 7 months renewable
- NRC has been present in Nigeria since 2015 and has been working to help displacement affected communities meet their basic needs, improve their livelihoods, access essential services, and enhance their resilience to future shocks through our six core competencies: water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Shelter, Education, Information-Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS), Camp Management, and Protection.
- NRC provides immediate assistance during the onset of emergencies through the rapid response mechanism (RRM).
- With a workforce of 370 staff and a presence in key locations such as Maiduguri (in Borno State), Yola (in Adamawa state) and JOS (in Plateau state), NRC is able to respond to the needs of those affected by the conflict across North-East, and North Central Nigeria.
- These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including by focusing on equitable access to basic services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees.
- In addition to the Country Office and the above mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-offices structures in Dikwa, Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka and Gwoza.
- We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
- If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for a WaSH Technical Assistant to join our Field Team in Monguno.
- You will be responsible for the The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of WaSH CC projects in Monguno, Borno State NRC Nigeria by providing support in all aspects of NRC WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in Monguno, Borno State.
- To be successful in this role you will be a confident communicator with excellent relationship building skills, capable of establishing strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels while supporting new initiatives and learning projects across the country.
- If you are highly organised individually with strong ability in program implementation and comfortable with working in a remote environment and have previous experience implementing water hygiene and sanitation activities, we would love to hear from you.
- To assist WASH Officer in coordination of the WASH Technical activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- To assist the WASH Team Leader in all aspects of WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- To assist the WASH Team Leader in the identification of community sanitation needs, including conducting needs assessments and contribution to technical solutions for sanitation
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for all the sanitation activities.
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans.
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH Officer and local counterparts on issues of sanitation and solid waste management and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of community based Sanitation committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WASH Technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities as part of community mobilization process.
- Assist the WASH Team Leader in Breaking down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- To assist in ensuring that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Supervision of Masons and Carpenters in charge of latrine and bathing shelters construction (New/rehabilitations)
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by line manager
- Bachelor of Science, Higher Diploma in Civil or Building Engineering as a minimum
- Minimum of 3 years experience from working with WASH Technical projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with the distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2-3 years’ work experience in community-based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Must have previous experience in training and Training of Trainers.
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Fulani preferred) plus other local languages as an added advantage.
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ArcGIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Must be able to work under pressure
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is open to National candidates only. We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and to Join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.