The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: VIP Protection – AfCFTA
Requisition ID: 1121
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Security and Facility Management Officer
Directorate/Department: Administration and Human Resources Management
Division: Administration and Human Resources Management
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: GSA5
Number of Positions: 03
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Provides daily technical support in the execution of security operations activities in a bid to ensure a safe and secure work environment
- Provide timely safety and security administrative and operational support;
- Assist in activity planning;
- Prepare operational work schedules and follow up implementation;
- Coordinate and/or engage in technical assistance and/or logistical work;
- Assist in the creation, improvement and maintenance of operational processes and systems;
- Prepare office communication and draft reports;
- Handle communication at operational level and provide update;
- Assist in the compilation and maintenance of data and information for preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, activities etc.;
- Prepare and review security plan for the VIP movements;
- Protecting the VIP or designated official from threats of physical violence;
- Provide immediate lifesaving treatment to the VIP in the event of an incident/attack;
- Conducting reconnaissance for premises, such as events, hotels, restaurants and theatres, before the VIP arrives;
- Surveying the layout of venues, noting potential hazards and exposure to risks;
- Driving the VIP when required;
- Accompanying the VIP on business and/or social trips;
- Maintain continues communication with security emergency operations center and control room before, on the move and after any movement of the VIP to and from any location;
- Report daily activities and irregularities;
- Gather regularly threat information from Emergency planning and response /threat and risk Unit
- Conduct personal threat assessment to the VIP;
- Plan and conduct security survey of meeting venue’s, hotels, restaurants and theatres, before the VIP arrives;
- Monitor the electronic surveillance equipment used on the premises
- Work with staff to develop safety plans for the buildings that monitored
- Report daily activities and irregularities such as equipment or property damage or theft
- Operate detecting devices to screen individuals and vehicles and prevent passage of prohibited materials or articles into restricted areas
- Perform and other related duties and functions as necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Diploma in Security Studies or related fields with 5 years of relevant work experience in Police, military, or VIP security
- Bachelor’s Degree in Security Studies or related fields with 2 years of relevant work experience in Police, military, or VIP security.
- Sound planning and organisational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication ability both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Risk Awareness and Compliance
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly
- Trouble shooting
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Task Focused
- Continuous Improvement Awareness
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$15,758.00 (GSA5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
23rd May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online