The University of Lagos (UNILAG) was established in 1962 by an Act of Parliament of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to encourage the advancement of learning. It is located in the urban and commercial city of Lagos, with the main campus in Akoka and its other campuses are at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos (CMUL) Idi-Araba and Yaba. The University caters for both full-time and part-time students with an overall student population of over sixty thousand (regular and part-time at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels). It has a staff strength of over five thousand.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor is a Principal Officer responsible for the day-to-day operations of the University and reports directly to the University’s Council. The Vice-Chancellor must pursue the realization of the University’s Vision and Mission.
- For the post, the University seeks candidates with vision, proven academic distinction, managerial ability, integrity and transparency in private and public life.
- The right candidate should also have the ability to develop linkages with external communities to meet the emerging needs of the University.
- He/She should be able to command respect and engender the cooperation and loyalty of staff and students of the University and its alumni.
Schedule of Duties
The Vice-Chancellor shall:
- Be generally responsible to the Council in maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of its statute, and regulations;
- Have the competence to advise the Council on any matter affecting the administration, finance and policy of the University;
- At management level, provide leadership in the relentless pursuit of excellence in all aspects of University life, including teaching, research and community service;
- Be responsible for discipline in the University;
- Regulate the admission of students, subject to guidelines and procedures approved by Senate and to any law or policy at the time that is applicable to the University;
- Undertake any other duties that will promote the growth and development of the University in a conducive atmosphere.
The Eligible Candidates
An eligible candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos must be:
- An exemplary scholar with good quantum of publications in highly rated journals;
- A person with demonstrable capacity for original thinking and creativity;
- A Professor for at least 10 years, and not more than 65 years old on November 11, 2022;
- A person with astute managerial ability who can maintain the peace and academic stability for which the University is reputed;
- A scholar of outstanding national and international repute, with proficiency in Information Communication Technology (ICT) and considerable experience at top levels of University Administration;
- A person with a track record of teaching; research and community service;
- A person with entrepreneurial and innovative abilities with the capacity to create wealth for the sustainability of the University of our future in line with the vision and mission;
- A person endowed with strong character and ability to give courageous and effective leadership;
- A person with a clear vision for the development of the University in realisation of its mission to refocus research and innovation, infrastructural development and human resource allocation as expressed in the University Strategic Plan;
- Able to foster regional and international partnerships including securing opportunities with the local and International business community for the achievement of the University’s strategic goal;
- A person capable of inspiring the advancement of learning while reaching out to all persons without discrimination in any form of sound mental and physical health, pleasant disposition, unassailable integrity and strong moral character capable of inspiring and maintaining moral discipline among staff and students.
- The successful candidate shall hold office as Vice-Chancellor for a single term of five (5) years only from November 12, 2022 (date of resumption) on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
Salary and Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Federal Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government/Governing Council as appropriate.
6th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply by submitting twenty (20) copies of their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) providing information as detailed here under:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth
- Address; (a) Postal (b) E-mail (c) Mobile Telephone number(s)
- Marital Status, number and ages of children
- Name, Mobile Telephone number and E-mail of the Next of Kin
- Academic qualifications (degrees with classes-copies of certificates to be enclosed):
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial experience
- Academic distinctions
- Membership of academic and professional bodies
- Scholarly publications (well referenced)
- Names and addresses of three (3) Referees who should be able to attest to candidate’s academic and managerial abilities as well as his/her moral character and uprightness.
All candidates should Click Here to complete the online application and print out. The printed online application form along with the hard copies of their applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in an envelope marked “Post of Vice-Chancellor, UNILAG” addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
5th Floor, Senate House,
University of Lagos,
- The candidate should also state in clear terms of not more than 1000 words, his/her vision for the University in the next five years.
- The References should be submitted separately to the Registrar and Secretary to Council with the post being applied for indicated on the right hand side of the envelope.
- In the case of candidates nominated by the Search Team, the Curriculum Vitae complying with the same detail as set out above must be accomplished by a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate.
- All candidates must formally apply for the post irrespective of the process by which their interest was obtained.
- Short-listed candidates will be required to make themselves available for interaction with the Joint Council and Senate Selection Board.