The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Travel Officer, AfCFTA
Requisition ID: 1187
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Senior Travel Officer
Directorate / Department: Administration and Human Resources Management
Division: Administration and Human resources management Division
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Support to the development and deliver a range of travel related activities within the AfCFTA Secretariat and ensure compliance with Travel policy.
- Assist on the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan;
- Provide support in implementation of programs, policies and procedures within the division;
- Assist in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use;
- Provide support to senior officers in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area;
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders;
- Assist in engagement with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop relationships as may be delegated;
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets;
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide support on the administration of all official Mission and entitlement travel requests and processing of shipment requests
- Review travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, validity and conformity with United Nations rules prior to approval and certification
- Coordinate with the Finance Section, regarding reimbursement of travel, which took place after the financial period was completed
- Closely liaise with Certifying Officers (TSA), Travel Shipment Processors (TPO), and Travel Claim Processors (TCP)
- Prepare and coordinate amendments to existing obligations as and when required, ensuring validity of budget allotment and cost centers assigned
- Compile data and information and prepare travel related reports for various clients groups on regular basis
- Coordinate with the appropriate office for clarification or additional information and meet with officials from relevant substantive units/divisions in order to discuss the details of particular claims and to explain the nature of problems, delays and backlogs when occurred;
- Ensure that the established Invitation to Bid (ITB) system is complied with and that airline tickets are purchased at the most competitive market prices
- Advice substantive sections/offices, and other relevant staff of arrival information
- Adhere to the African Union Travel Policy and advise on any improvements.
- Reconcile travel expenses and manage debit card operations.
- Assist in negotiation of travel service provider’s contracts on behalf of AU with travel service providers and ensure compliance
- Assist in the management of the recruitment, on boarding and administration of Travel Management Company
- Make recommendation for service enhancements and initiate process, procedures and policy improvements.
- Develop and maintain content for travel’s Communications App.
- Lead the training strategy, skill development and performance assessment of the Travel Procurement Assistant under his/her supervision
- Plan, advise and provide information and reports for management decisions.
- Ensure timely and regularly reporting of Travel data;
- Ensure service excellence of the Travel section for the customer service and satisfaction for stakeholders
- Supervise the work of Travel Assistants for accuracy and correct application of the relevant rules and regulations
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation, Logistics, Tourism Administration, Fleet management or related hospitality fields of study with 2 Years relevant experience
- IATA Diploma or formal academic training or education on passengers’ air travel is desirable
- Certificate in Amadeus Reservation System is an added advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to successfully manage ambiguity
- Ability to work across business units / geographies; cultural sensitivity
- Proficiency in one of the AU officials working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic, Kiswahili or Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous improvement focus.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 25,523.00 (P1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 18,547.20 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
6th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online