Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Social & Behavior Change
Job Requisition ID: 2022200885
Location: Awka, Anambra State
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: Project Director-Alive & Thrive
- The Technical Officer-SBC will coordinate and oversee the quality implementation and M&E of community-level SBC activities to increase uptake of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- The role will focus heavily on ensuring strong community engagement to improve the link between SBC activities in line with available vaccine supply. SBC strategies will be formulated in coordination with national government efforts to ramp up COVID-19 vaccination efforts, as well as in alignment with relevant national policies, and stakeholder efforts.
- The Technical Officer SBC will be responsible for: 1) conducting program preparatory activities, like community mapping, facilitating design workshops with audiences and stakeholders, and contributing to the design of community-level SBC strategies; 2) overseeing the day-to-day implementation and M&E of SBC activities.
- This may include responsibilities like facilitating trainings, conducting, or supporting community dialogues, integrating SBC tools and approaches into faith, school, and other community-based structures, and ensuring overall quality and M&E data collection. 3) Across both sets of activities, it is expected that the Technical Officer SBC will work closely with local government partners, seek and align implementation of SBC activities with other services, and will coordinate with other FHI 360 COVID-19 and community-based activities to increase synergies and impact.
- This project will apply learning and use tools and design activities to address key determinants of vaccine uptake, fill gaps, and reduce vaccine hesitancy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to SBC project design, development, and planning for the project.
- Contribute to the development of an SBC strategic plan in line with national risk communication strategies to guide community-level activities and donor-funded research.
- Conduct and support participatory community engagement activities (e.g. mapping, audience consultations, pre-testing tools, focus group discussions (FGDs), etc.).
- Engage partners and stakeholders in the focus LGA to stay abreast of evolving issues.
- Monitor and maintain study protocols, surveys, data sets, manuals, and training materials.
- Conduct analysis of project start-up data and implementation data to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate design, replanning and adaptation approaches.
- Ensure project activities and progress towards indicator targets are on track with work plans.
- Support the development of monitoring and evaluation and quality assurance tools and systems.
- Coordinate the review, adaptation, and co-creation of materials, tools, and products for community engagement activities.
- Train and mentor community-level change agents (i.e. interpersonal communication agents, community mobilizers, other community stakeholders) in the use of SBC products and engagement with priority audience segments.
- Oversee data collection in target communities (i.e. baseline/end line surveys, FGDs, etc.).
- Conduct routine monitoring and quality assurance activities to ensure quality implementation.
- Participate in and prepare content for cross-country learning and dissemination.
- Prepare quarterly/annual reports and action plans for client, multi-partner and multi-stakeholder awareness, action, and buy-in.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Rrequirements
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Civil Society, Communication and Social Marketing, Behavior Change Communication, Economic Development, Education, the Environment, Gender, Health, Nutrition,
- 5-7 years of experience in SBC projects and/or community engagement and mobilization.
- Master’s degree in Civil Society, Communication and Social Marketing, Behavior Change Communication, Economic Development, Education, the Environment, Gender, Health, Nutrition, Research, Technology and Youth or Related Field with 3-5 years’ experience.
- Experience managing and overseeing M&E data collection and ensuring quality oversight.
- Experience coordinating activities for a consortium-led initiative.
- Familiarity with country public health sector and working with NGOs and CBOs.
- Subject matter experience and/or expertise in emerging infectious diseases (e.g. COVID-19), or other health areas preferred.
- Prior experience working with underserved, resource poor, and marginalized populations.
- Experience in the use of social media and community radio for SBC (added advantage).
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with coordinating research studies, health and/or SBC projects.
- Ability to develop and monitor scopes of work and deliverables for partners, consultants, etc.
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools, as required.
- Sensitive to cultural diversity and has a strong understanding of the political, contextual, and issues in assigned areas.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; professional proficiency in one or more primary languages in country/area of operation required.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to problem solve and implement corrective action as needed.
- Candidates are expected to be based in/nearby to the communities of operation; thus, only local travel is expected for this position.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online