US Embassy – The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Surveillance Detection Monitor – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-042
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 0710 4
Work Schedule: Full Time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-4
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Note: EFMs have been expressly prohibited from applying for sd positions since 2008, due to the unique nature of the job, per 08 state 5302.
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Job holder provides security for U.S. Personnel and facilities by conducting SD operations as a member of a tactical team of SD personnel.
- SD Monitors observe, recognize and report potential surveillance and other suspicious incidents directed against U.S. Government facilities and/or personnel and initiate emergency response to possible hostile actions, as necessary, to safeguard life and property.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School is required.
- One (1) year of military, police, or private experience in the field of security is required.
- Knowledge of surveillance techniques, familiarity with local pedestrian and vehicular traffic patterns and habits, awareness of cultural norms and customs is required.
- The position requires good working knowledge of the host city’s geography and general culture.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Limited knowledge in speaking/reading/writing of English is required.
- Good working knowledge in speaking/reading/writing of Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba is required
Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess a valid Nigerian drivers license.
- Must be skilled in the use of communications equipment, cameras, and basic information technology systems.
- Must provide detailed oral reports.
- Must work independently and adapt to a wide range of threat and environmental conditions.
- Must have good observation skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights.
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Salary: N3,241,313 Annually.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
3rd May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance. Incumbent will be subject to polygraph upon selection.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License.
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section – 000-000-0000, HRNigeria@state.gov