The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Officer
Requisition ID: req28385
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state.
- In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Bama, Gwoza and Monguno of Borno State and Damatru of Yobe State.
- Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, Reproductive Health, Nutrition, Environmental health, WASH, Women’s protection and empowerment, Protection, Child protection, Education, Economic Recovery & Livelihood.
Job Overview / Summary
- Supply Chain Officer is a key position to the success and delivery of quality programs.
- IRC defines Supply Chain as those systems and functions necessary to implement programs effectively, inclusive of planning, procurement, logistics, inventory management, property and asset management as well as vehicle and fleet management.
- The Supply Chain Officer is responsible for supporting the Supply Chain function to ensure efficient procurement and delivery of supply chain functions in the field office.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Area Manager with technical guidance from the Senior Procurement Manager as well as the Logistic Manager, the role holder will be responsible for the following:
Supply Chain Planning:
The Supply Chain Officer is responsible for working closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure effective supply chain planning and preparation to support program implementation. Supply chain planning includes:
- Develop procurement plans for active grants, in collaboration with sector leads and internal/external stakeholders to support program implementation.
- Provide support to Program staff on developing Item forecast
- Ensure program teams develop distribution plan for supplies and assets of closed grants in the warehouses.
- Ensure that supply chain department is well staffed and roles and responsibilities of each have clear job description.
- Preparing procurement plans, warehousing plans, transport plans and distribution plans.
- Implementing all IRC procurement SOPs
- Develop sourcing strategies and relationships with suppliers.
- Monitor supply market and conduct market surveys & analysis.
- Perform Market Analyses by collecting, organizing and analyzing market data and financial reports
- Develop and regularly review Grant(s) procurement and distribution plans, ensuring resolution of all related issues collaborating with programs unit leadership.
- Develop and implement category sourcing strategy
- Handle Negotiations with suppliers
- Lead the bidding process by developing and issuing request for proposals (RFP) and completing a purchase request process
- Maintain relationships with suppliers, and program staff
- Prepare, review, and utilize Procurement contracts, including Master Agreements (MPA, MSA) for purchases
- Prepare and submit timely and accurate supply chain weekly/monthly report(s) to inform decision-making process.
- Maintain supplier’s database and ensure new vendors are uploaded on the integra before any transaction with IRC.
Inventory, warehousing and Assets Management:
- Inventory control, including drug storage, Cold chain, buffer stock, contributions in kind stock (CIK) and food commodities
- Implement the IRC inventory policies with regard to all project Items including cycle count, reporting discrepancies, pharmaceutical quality assurance as well as cold chain policies where applicable.
- Develop and ensure material distribution plans are up-to-date and being adhered to.
- Coordinate inventory disposal procedures
- Placement of the assets and facilities maintenance plans as per IRC policies, including repairs and insurance coverage process.
- Conduct Asset needs assessment
- Handle asset and property disposal, and auction management
- Ensure that grant inventory and asset report is accurate, regularly produced, reviewed, and approved before the Grant closing date.
- Ensure accurate and updated asset records and documentations are available at all times
Logistics and Fleet Operations:
The role holder will:
- Dissemination and adherence of the vehicle safety policies by all vehicle users.
- Conduct transport need assessments
- Develop and monitor fleet movement plans, vehicle repairs, drivers’ assignment, vehicle safety, and fuel consumption.
- Develop vehicle management cost analysis
- Ensure that the fleet legal status (customs clearance, registration, licenses, insurance) are up to date;
- Regular issuance, review, and usage of vehicle monthly reports to inform strategic decision-making process.
- Identify, document and timely report any IRC procurement deviations following the mechanism in place for appropriate follow up.
- Ensure all staff (international and national) are familiar and comply fully with the IRC Way policies.
- Implement and sustain segregation of duties in procurement and other related functions.
- Review and provide feedback on assigned supply chain reports submitted by country office.
- Develop and support implementation of improvement plans.
- Promptly Inform the Senior Area Manager any areas of concern or potential or suspected supply chain policy violations.
- Provide constructive support to other functions to ensure effective, compliance to policies & procedures.
- Implement discrete, time-bound Supply Chain initiatives which improve performance or compliance (i.e. implementing post-audit corrective action plan);
Staff Management and Development:
- Support recruitment of Supply Chain staff (written tests and interviews) through the effective utilization of the IRC supply chain competency matrix.
- Ensure each team members’ objectives are set following the organizational unit visions as well as operations context(s);
- Provide face to face and remote orientation to newly hired supply chain staff
- Assess supply chain staff competency and training gaps and develop appropriate intervention programmes
- Deliver Training and Professional development programmes
- Coordinate training and maintain training records
- Develop training need Assessment for all supply chain staff and recommend areas of capacity building.
Technical Management & Systems:
- Participate in the development and implementation of ERP, Integra and other Supply Chain systems and, when necessary, SC standard Operating Procedures.
Pharmaceutical Supply Chain:
- In collaboration with the health team, ensure forecasts and supply planning for pharmaceutical supply are created for all health projects by project start date.
- With the guidance and support from the Senior Pharmacy Manager, develop a supply strategy for the supply of pharmaceuticals to the field office.
- Ensure the IRC standard pharmaceutical inventory tracking tool is in place and accurately maintained in the field office.
- Ensure implementation IRC pharmaceutical quality assurance policy, associated SOPs and procedures for Cold Chain best practice in the warehouse and in local transport.
- Ensure adequate drugs management and transportation tool and materials are available for the effective management of drugs.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Business Management, Business Studies, Administrative Studies and similar management courses)
- Advanced professional certification in supply chain management and/or emergency response management strongly preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in handling humanitarian supply chain;
- Strong ERP roll out and management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and roll-out supply chain policy and SOPs;
- Clear training and mentoring ability;
- Experience working with a diverse portfolio of Donors and knowledge of specific donor guidelines.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to work under sometimes extreme hardship conditions against tight deadlines.
- Strong computer and communication equipment skills, including Microsoft Office applications, HF and VHF radios.
- Ability to lead teams
- Change management
- Risk management
- Decision-making capability
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Conflict resolution skills
- Strategic thinking
- Result Focus
- Effective Communication
- Problem-Solving ability.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Senior Area Manager
- Position directly supervises: Procurement Assistant, Logistics Assistant, Store Keeper, and Pharmacy Technician
- Indirect Reporting: Supply Chain Coordinator, Senior Procurement Manager, Logistics Manager.
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: Regular relationship with the Senior Area Manager, IRC Gwoza sector leads, and country Supply Chain staff.
- Fluency in local context language is highly desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel:
- 5% of times.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!!!