United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Contractor to Serve as Teacher at the Right Level (TaRL) State Coordinator
Job Number: 552163
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Consultancy
How Can You Make a Difference?
- The State Coordinator will be required to have a holistic view of all the components of the Programme ensuring that these components are well managed, aligned with evidence, and apply lessons learned.
- In particular, the State Coordinator will be required to have a deep understanding of the Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) methodology. The role involves working with UNICEF, the relevant State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), and Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa.
- The State Coordinator is responsible for providing technical direction for the successful implementation of Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) activities.
- He/she must build and maintain effective relationships with all people involved in the intervention, from senior government officials to international partners to all team members.
- The role will have a dual reporting line to UNICEF and Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa.
Scope of Work
Become a Teaching at the Right Level expert:
- Work with Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa team to develop a deep understanding of the Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) approach and learn techniques for providing instructional support
- Work with policymakers and partners in the state to build their understanding of Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) and ensure that lessons learned, and evidence is being applied so that the programme remain effective.
- Practice the Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) methodology in the classroom to build the practical skillset
- Guide the implementation of the training, coaching, and monitoring systems being used in the intervention, and work with all partners to adapt and improve these so that they effectively support the classroom methodology.
Provide direction on training and instructional content:
- Refine and continually improve teaching and learning resources and techniques through spending time in the classroom testing new materials and classroom techniques which respond to challenges identified through data and experience, as well as working with teachers and government officials to reflect on the content and re-mold as required.
- Track and document innovative teaching practices across the project.
- Work with appropriate stakeholders to design, organize and support/lead training/workshops.
- Provide quality assurance of training and mentoring of teachers and student teachers by Master Trainers and Teacher Trainer/Mentors.
Provide technical project management:
- Manage the team members working on the different components of the project to ensure that the Programme is on track and is effectively moving towards its goals.
- Maintain critical relationships with government and other partners, and ensure the work with the UNICEF, SUBEB, Ministry of Education and other partners on the programme is coordinated.
- Think creatively and carefully with UNICEF, SUBEB, Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa and other partners about how to improve the Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) approach in the state such that it can be effectively and efficiently scaled and embedded within government and apply these strategies.
In addition, the person(s) in this position will be expected to:
- Prepare technical and Programme reports for the Programme advisory board.
- Support the management of key relationships with stakeholders in state and national education systems, particularly the State Ministry of Education, State Universal Basic Education Board, Local Government Education Authorities.
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with the Central and Nigerian Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) teams and collaboratively with programme team members.
To Qualify as an Advocate for Every Child, You Will Have
- Advanced University Degree in Education, Development sStudies or its equivalent. Relevant training and experience in a related field will be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrable professional experience in implementing Education and learning outcomes improvement interventions.
- Proven ability to work independently under difficult conditions
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria preferably conversant with the state(s) of assignment.
- Experience in team management.
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Language skills: Hausa and/or Kanuri and Fulfulde languages.
- Strong preference for Borno, Adamawa, Yobe State residents.
- Experience working with Nigerian government offices. Experience working on educational programmes at a large scale.
Application Closing Date
24th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Applications submitted without a technical and financial proposal will not be considered.