Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Specialised Technician
Location: MSF OCA, Gunmi Nutrition Response, Zamfara
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Duration: Definite contract (3 months with a possibility of renewal)
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Perform autonomously, specific complex / advanced installation, maintenance works and repairs depending on technician’s specialization (requiring special/qualifications/training), according to supervisor’s instructions and MSF standards and procedures, in order to ensure a proper functioning and maintenance of MSF equipment, installations and infrastructures.
- Performing autonomously, all necessary installations, maintenance, and repairs (i.e. plumbing, electricity, carpentry, radios, computers, constructions) according to the supervisor’s instructions and executing any needed tests after any repair or maintenance. The position requires particular focus on electrical, ICT, and minor construction/rehabilitation.
- Work in collaboration with other specialized technicians and workers, if necessary or maintenance work needed in MSF electrical installations, equipment and/or vehicles and assisting logistics department for any relative work needed.
- Responsible for the equipment and tools, including extinguishers, checking they are correctly and safely used, maintaining and renewing them when necessary, and keeping the inventory updated.
- Keeping the working area clean and tidy.
- Look after all equipment and tools provided.
- Ensuring that all record sheets and books related to logistical maintenance are always completed.
- Preparing needed reports before and after any repair or required maintenance.
- Immediately informing the line manager of any problems that arise in the course of the work, particularly with regard to damage, loss, theft or attempted break-ins.
- Working in collaboration with other specialized technicians and workers, if necessary, or managing a small team of workers.
- Assist logistics department with relative work needed.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities:
- The position is based in Gummi LGA where MSF conducted a mass malnutrition screening in June 2022 and found that rates of malnutrition were well above emergency thresholds. As a result the project has begun to establish an emergency intervention which includes blanket supplementary feeding, in-patient and ambulatory therapeutic feeding centres, and malaria test and treat units, and community health education activities throughout the Gummi LGA.
- The project is still in the start-up phase and thus the position requires flexibility to work outside of traditional working hours and days.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Essential: Diploma or recognized formal training in the assigned technical area.
- Demonstrate experience in his/her technical area (minimum of 2 years experience).
- Essential at least two years previous working experience. Desirable in MSF or other NGOs.
- Local language essential, mission language desirable.
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Service Orientation
- Stress Management
Application Closing Date
29th July, 2022 at 5:00pm.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization