Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action; helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Nigeria was established in 2012 to respond to these challenges. The Nigeria team is headquartered in Abuja, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), with offices throughout Nigeria delivering multi-sectoral life-saving humanitarian support, early recovery, and development programs. Specific sectoral work includes girls’ education and financial inclusion, community peacebuilding, market-based livelihoods, and a multi-sector humanitarian response. With the vision of a Nigeria in which all people are empowered, engaged, resilient and secure, Mercy Corps Nigeria focuses on the root causes of conflict, governance, humanitarian needs, and market systems development. Working with a diverse funding base, Mercy Corps empowers people to recover from crisis, build better lives and transform their communities for good. We stand with Nigeria to find and access opportunities, and to be part of lasting and meaningful transformation in the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Program Intern
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time, Internship
Reports Directly To: Senior Shelter Program Officer
Works Directly With: All program teams, Operations, MEL
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Program / Department Summary
- The Shelter Intern is responsible for supporting the management of all shelter applied research and studies activities in Maiduguri and deep field locations in liaison with relevant team members.
- Prepare project/contracts related documentation such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, Contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, etc.
- Preparation of payment documents and work progress records for the review of the contractors
- Works closely with contractors in the field to provide technical support and guidance.
- Ensures that items procured meet specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines and in a timely manner.
- Support in preparation of project implementation plans.
- Develop and maintain working relationships and coordinate with relevant stakeholders involved in the applied research and studies initiative.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- B.Eng in Civil Engineering, or other related fields.
- Experience working on similar technical research with strong educational background is required.
- Experience working with local stakeholders is required.
- Ability to effectively represent the organization and its interests to a diverse range of stakeholders, including local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, donors, other international organizations, the media and the community.
- Good organizational and program management skills and the ability to anticipate program needs.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office and design software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD) is required, with a strong focus on Excel.
- Ability to analyze databases resulting from surveys.
- Excellent oral and written English skills are an advantage, with local language skills a bonus.
- Proven experience working in an insecure environment and through remote management.
- Fluency in English, Kanuri, Hausa, and other relevant local languages is desirable.
- The successful candidate will combine curiosity and a strong willingness to learn in the shortest possible time which will enable the candidate to meet the expectations of this role. The candidate should be equipped with the additional attribute of a “want-to-do” attitude. S/he will be an effective communicator, self-motivated with dedication towards deliverables and commitment to deliver with limited time and resources. S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative, and capable of working with limited direct supervision. S/he will be willing to conduct several days-long field travels and work in an ethnically and culturally diversified and fast-growing team.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive, and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and, have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travels across deep field locations in Borno State.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectivesand authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best workof their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening, and evolving to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination based on race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we encounter through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants, or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.