Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Technical Officer – Pharmacy
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job type: Full time
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- The STO – Pharmacy will take an integral role in the development of in-house capacity in all aspects of distribution and warehousing of health commodities.
- S/he will provide technical and leadership support to strengthen the supply chain process of health commodities to reduce stock-outs, lower costs and eliminate wastages.
- Carrying out inspection duties as provided for under the Poisons and Pharmacist’s Act, the Dangerous Drug Act and the Food and Drug Decree and other operational legislations
- Direct outgoing or incoming health commodities distribution activities; ensure health commodities or supplies are shipped, distributed, or received in an efficient manner.
- Provide day-to-day guidance to TO-Pharmacy, ATO- Pharmacy on drug dispensing and prescription to in-and-outpatients whilst providing mentorship on medication advice.
- The STO-Pharmacist will support other project within North-East Nigeria whenever required.
- Develop a cost effective system for cold and dry storage for health commodities based on good storage and evidence-based principles in keeping with good quality assurance standards.
- Providing spontaneous advice on medicaments such as mixtures, lotions, ointments, syrups, etc.
- Provides technical information and advice to other health professionals on procurement and supply chain management of health commodities.
- Ensuring proper storage and issuance of all drugs over the duration of the project.
- Participating in routine quality control audits of all drugs in stock.
- Conduct periodic visits to facility warehouses to follow-up on all warehouse related matters such as the environment, sterilization, refrigeration etc. and generate reports to management and other stakeholders
- Monitor safety standards in accordance with regulations; ensure safety code and quality compliance are met daily.
- Advice on the disposal process of all health commodities marked for destruction (damaged or expired)
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Research, develop and recommend policies and procedures to improve internal processing and record keeping systems
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- PHD with at least one year relevant experience managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting /quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- MB.BS / MD / MPH or MS/MA in relevant Degree with 5 to 7 years relevant experience managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting /quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- Or BS / BA / BPharm or a relevant Degree with more than 7 years relevant experience managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting /quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online