The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor (STA), COVID-19 Vaccine Introduction
Job ID: R1985
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Senior Technical Advisor, (STA) provides management support and technical assistance for the design and implementation of the MTaPS interventions related to national COVID-19 response and expedited vaccines deployment with specific focus on the private health sector and community engagement.
- The STA is expected to be able of working independently or collaboratively as part of the MSH and Medicines, Technologies and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) country teams.
- The STA provides technical support to Country Director or country Principal Technical Advisor (PTA), advises the HQ’s Manager and Technical Lead of the COVID-19 portfolio, and provides direct technical assistance to the Government of Nigeria, Ministry of Health, national vaccination stakeholders, private stakeholders such as pharmacy and medical associations, USAID and other donor-supported Implementing Partners, international agencies such as WHO, UNICEF, and others.
- The STA also is responsible to collect, validate, and report indicator data and develop progress narratives as required by MTaPS and USAID.
- STA leads the development of annual work plans and provides guidance to technical advisors and ensures the roll out of all activities designed and budgeted in annual work plan, ensuring the quality of expected outcomes and deliverables. STA works closely with monitoring, evaluation and communication team to design results frameworks, monitor and evaluate performance; and disseminate results. As a senior technical team member, STA assists Country Project Director and PTA in strategic planning, risk mitigation, performance management and coordination.
- As required, the STA also provides technical assistance to other MTaPS country activities, and works with MSH technical staff on opportunities, new and existing tools, and country implementation programs related to strengthening pharmaceutical management systems.
- Provide technical assistance to the MOH, National vaccination program, private providers’ and pharmacy associations, and local partners for the design and implementation of country interventions related to COVID-19 response, including vaccines deployment.
- Participate in identifying and prioritizing capacity development activities for strengthening national and regional level pharmaceutical supply chains, including cold chain, and building expertise in monitoring and supervision in collaboration with the MOH, private sector actors, and other relevant team members and partners.
- Develop clear strategy on the private sector engagement as a part of COVID-19 response and immunization in Nigeria.
- Guide and oversee the work of technical consultants both internal and external to ensure they have what they need to carry out their work and ensure deliverables are achieved in a timely and quality manner.
- Develop Scopes of Work for external consultants and monitor their progress to achieve deliverables.
- Lead team with members from both within and outside of MSH to ensure project objectives are reached even if team members are not the STA’s direct reports.
- Coordinate activities with other technical team members on the project.
- Work with the Principal Technical Advisor, and technical team to develop and implement work plans and budgets that integrate COVID-19 response objectives with broader MTaPS activities.
- Work with the team to provide them with the information and budgets needed to support the logistical needs for COVID-19 response activities in a timely manner.
- Write technical reports and other communications materials in English as required and edit and provided comments on reports generated by technical consultants.
- Develop and deliver presentations on technical COVID-19 related supply chain issues to high-level stakeholders.
- Represent MTaPS at various technical meetings with other cooperating agencies, collaborating partners, senior government officials and/or donor agencies
- Collaborate with the MOH, private sector and implementing partners to assure that effective and efficient supply chain systems and immunization services are in place for COVID-19 response programs as well as appropriate tools necessary to manage COVID-19 vaccine deployment effectively and to improve pharmaceutical management information systems more broadly, including appropriate use of data for decision making.
- Support MOH in collaboration with private sector partners and immunization service providers to ensure timely deliveries and administration of vaccines to target populations in all assigned regions.
Reporting and Metrics:
- Monitor and document progress of activities toward achieving results of national COVID-19 vaccination goals.
- Contribute to regular monthly, quarterly and annual reports per MTaPS and USAID requirements.
- Collect, validate, and report indicator data and develop progress narratives as required by MTaPS and USAID.
- Graduate Degree in a Health related field with specialized training and/or experience related to vaccination programs, emergency response, and supply chain management; physician, pharmacist or public health qualification preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Five years of relevant experience in Nigeria’s public and private health systems with experience in pharmaceutical management and private sector pharmaceutical supply systems and services strengthening
- Demonstrated experience working with Nigeria’s health stakeholders at the Government, private, and community levels
- Experience with vaccines and immunization programs in Nigeria
- Understanding and knowledge of COVID-19 response initiatives and implementing partners supported in Nigeria by bilateral agencies, such as USAID, and international agencies, such as World Health Organization, GFATM, UNICEF, and COVAX, required.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities, develop interventions, and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Experience in project monitoring, evaluation, learning and research for health‐related projects.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English are essential.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required, up to 40% of time to support the implementation of the MTaPS interventions.
Navigating the Environment:
- Perspective, Dealing with ambiguity, Organizational Agility, Political Savvy and Strategic Agility
Ensuring Delivery of Results:
- Functional/Technical skills, Client Focus, Managing through systems, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Information Sharing, Process Management, Priority Setting, Problem Solving and Timely Decision Making
Leading with Credibility:
- Managing others: Building Effective Teams, Conflict Management, Managing Vision and Purpose, Integrity and Trust, Motivating others, Approachability and Developing direct reports and others
Core Personal Competencies:
- Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Listening, Written Communication
Core MSH Competencies:
- Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status.