The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Assistant (AVRR/Data & Policy)
SVN No.: SVN2022.17
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager MMU Lagos, under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer (MMU/AVRR) and in close coordination with the Information Management Officer (MM/IM), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the Projects within the Migration Management Unit, with special focus on strengthening the governance of migration and migration data management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Collect, analyze and provide the necessary information and assist in organizing and implementing all aspects of the project activities on strengthening policy and data frameworks in the country.
- Assist in timely implementation and reporting on project activities according to IOM and donor formats as required, contribute to and/or prepare weekly progress updates on project activities.
- Assist with in-house coordination among different sections of the project and proper documentation of project documents and filing.
- Advice on developments on new trends and policies in the field of migration in the country for successful implementation of project activities.
- Support the improvement of the capacity of the target groups in migration management and migration data information analysis and support the processing of civil registration forms and conduct of monitoring flow surveys.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Contribute to the development, organization and delivery of quality thematic training to the government as required by the project.
- Organize workshop/capacity building training for the government counterparts and partners on Migration data, policies, and governance.
- Support the AVRR/AVM team in updating beneficiary support information on Mimosa.
- Take the lead on surveys on Migration data supporting both the National Population Commission and National Bureau of Statistics involved in the management of Migration Data support in Nigeria
- Support the IM Officer for developing and implementing the Information Management strategy of IOM Nigeria and operations of Flow Monitoring Points in targeted locations under the Initiatives.
- Participate in developing and conducting flow monitoring assessments/surveys, community mapping etc. as well as to collect, collate, analyse, interpret the data and develop reports under the supervision of the IM Officer.
- Track project expenditures, liaise with Admin and Finance Unit and prepare monthly funding requests for the project activities.
- Support liaison with relevant governmental and non-governmental entities, international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for effective implementation of the activities of the project and represent IOM at coordination meetings with governments, NGOs, and other stakeholders where required.
- Assist in the organization of seminars, conferences, workshops, meetings, presentations, and missions related to the project, undertake duty travel when necessary.
- Support the development of tracking tools based on agreed indicators for tracking the implementation of pilot projects.
- Provide administrative support for the development of new projects based on identified needs during project implementation.
- Regularly coordinate with the MDAs in consultation with IM Unit to assist them in entering timely and accurate data into the National Migration database established under the EU-IOM joint initiatives.
- Coordinate the implementation of objective 23 of the Global Compact for Migration to support its implementation using the Migration Data working group platform in Nigeria.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Science, Law, Humanitarian Affairs, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 4 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with six years of relevant working experience.
- Experience in Project Management, preferably in Migration Assistance, Labour Migration Capacity Building or related experience.
- Project management experience required, preferably in migration data and/or information management.
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Work experience related to migration data and especially government institutions capacity building programs desirable
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Experience of supporting all aspects of project management and familiarity with international standards and EU regulations is advantageous
- Preferably within the United Nations or within the international humanitarian field.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Application Closing Date
13th March, 2022.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Failure to use the above SVN in your email subject will result to disqualification.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).