African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Gender Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Number: 50050451
Position Grade: PL5
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments; and
- Represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is designed to improve coherence and coordination across complexes on Gender and Civil Society Organization issues.
- The Department ensures strategic priorities are reflected in resources allocation, enhances monitoring and management of performance, and strengthens the focus on results.
- As part of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Directorate, the Gender and Women Empowerment Division provides leadership on mainstreaming Gender in operations.
- The Senior Gender Officer will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will support the effective operationalization of gender mainstreaming within (i) the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy 2013-2022 and (ii) the High-5 priorities areas, in support of gender mainstreaming in Bank operations at regional level.
- Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager, AHGC.1, the Senior Gender Officer, will provide support to mainstream and promote gender equality and women empowerment.
The responsibilities of the Senior Gender Officer – include, but are not limited to the following:
- Mainstream gender issues at all stages of the project cycle, from planning to monitoring and evaluation;
- Assist in the inclusion of gender in all programs/projects or any related activities, ensuring gender balance in project staff teams, training, and beneficiaries;
- Assist in developing indicators to monitor the gender impact of Bank supported projects using the Gender Marker System;
- Assess the potential gender impact of proposed projects, review impact of on-going projects and propose mitigating measures;
- Participate in operational missions and the drafting of project documents in order to promote the implementation of the Bank’s gender strategy, ensure that women are consulted and enhance the level of gender analysis of programs/projects;
- Work with Task managers to develop innovative approaches to gender stand-alone operations;
- Collect and make available to the Country Offices gender-related information on each of these countries (for example in the form of country-level “Gender Profiles”);
- Develop studies and any preparatory documents related to gender for the purpose of project formulation, supervision and post-evaluation;
- Develop Terms of Reference for knowledge products related to gender assessments and analysis;
- Contribute to research and studies relevant to gender policy development and implementation and/or contribute to gender sensitization and skill building activities;
- Liaise with key gender-related NGOs, multilateral, national and regional institutions and any relevant stakeholders in countries served by the Regional Office for purposes of partnerships, information sharing, networking and potential operational collaborations;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Gender Studies, International Development, Finance Development, Economics or closely related disciplines. Relevant qualification in development project management and project finance is a plus;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience on gender and social inclusion in the development space and experience in project management;
- Demonstrate understanding of regional social issues, analysis and policy formulation; knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries is an added advantage;
- Demonstrate experience in private sector development, entrepreneurship and support to women SMEs;
- Demonstrate strong communication and organization skills, dealing with various stakeholders with different backgrounds and capacity to perform in complex situations;
- Ability to build effective working relationships in a diverse multicultural environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
9th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.