African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Budget, Programming, Portfolio and Contract Management (BPPCM) Officer
Position Number: 50093668
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL5
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for People in Africa”.
- The complex objectives are to develop, policy and strategy, provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions and develop new financing instruments.
- The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department works closely with the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department and the Regional Directorates to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025.
- The core mandate of Agriculture Finance and Rural Development (AHFR) Department is to develop the strategy of the Bank related to agricultural and rural finance and rural development, represent the Bank with external stakeholders, provide sector expertise to the regions by gathering experts who can be consulted by operations and closing the financing gap for private sector-led development of agricultural value chains.
- The Department is to mobilize and deploy the required expertise; and, provide support the design and implementation of agricultural finance and rural development operations for key commodity value chains.
- The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department is structured into two Divisions: Agriculture and Rural Finance Division (AHFR.1) and Rural Infrastructure Development Division (AHFR.2).
- The main objectives of the Senior Budget, Programming, Portfolio and Contract Management (BPPCM) Officer position are to provide Management with high-quality output and monitoring for budget, lending program, portfolio management, and related services required for the execution of work program of the Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department (the “Department” or “AHFR”).
- With available resources, and by making the best use of human, financial, and technological assets, the BPPCM Officer will assist in the planning, monitoring and enforcing of key performance indicators as outlined by Management.
- The Budget, Programming, Portfolio and Contract Management Officer will perform the below TORs plus any additional assignments as proposed by Management of AHFR.
The Senior Budget, Programming, Portfolio and Contract Management (BPPCM) Officer under the oversight of the Director Agricultural Finance & Rural Development Department is responsible for:
Budget Preparation and Implementation:
- Prepare budget and follow-up on budget execution and advise Management on the budgetary and financial impacts of the Department’s operations;
- Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals for the Department, including evaluating requirements emanating from other sections/units;
- Provide detailed input with respect to resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Establish and prepare accurate and timely information for budget monitoring and progress reporting of funds disbursed;
- Provide the departmental budget reviews and budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures;
- Contribute to cost saving opportunities and value engineering; and
- Collect and fill in regular financial reports and budget records.
Project Programming and Coordination Activities:
- Collect, collate, process, provide and maintain accurate data on the Department’s operations across the regions including Sovereign Operations (SO) (pipeline, lending and ongoing) and Non-Sovereign Operations (NSO) (pipeline and lending only) for dissemination and follow-up within AHFR and beyond;
- Work with Task Managers and Investment Officers to prepare, ensure accurate and monitor annual work-plan and processing schedules in SAP, BPPS as well as BRAG for AHFR management;
- Develop and maintain Department’s operational performance dashboard, which will include but not limited to analysis of the following:
- Status of Indicative Operational Pipeline (IOP) and updates on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- Lending program processing schedules and status;
- Report on the accuracy and completeness of lending program and portfolio data in various corporate systems (e.g., SAP, BPPS, SRAS, etc.).
Portfolio Management Activities:
- Develop portfolio management tools by generating reports on status of on-going projects, Project Completion Reports (PCRs) and Implementation Progress Reports (IPRs) for SOs;
- Maintain a portfolio management dashboard in terms of cancellations, disbursements, savings, and other indicators of performance;
- Data analysis of the portfolio performance (these includes management of the departments work program, lending cycle and non-lending cycle activities, aid coordination, human and financial resources management (data on the portfolio in the department);
- Develop, maintain, and update data and report platforms that interface with existing corporate systems e.g., SAP, BPPS, BRAG, SRAS, etc. to seamless update data on pipeline, lending program processing, cancellable loans and grants, project completion reports due, WPA execution, etc.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Department’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), ensure their consistency with Complex level KPIs and regularly monitor the overall implementation status of AHFR’s KPIs;
- Produce and co-ordinates the Monthly, quarterly, and annual activity reports for the Department;
- Prepare resource utilization analysis including Work Program Agreement (WPA) execution status reports, Staff analysis in relation to work program needs; and
- Contribute to the preparation and monitoring of the Complex’s Annual Work Program and its regular updates using established schedules or as may be directed.
Contract Management Procurement:
- Manage the recruitment process of consultants and service providers for the Department by ensuring due diligence in the recruitment in accordance with the Bank’s rules and procedures;
- Develop and coordinate the procurement process through planning, solicitation, evaluation, supplier assessment, contracting and contract management and administration;
- Follow and maintain policies and procedures related to the procurement of goods, services and guidelines and tools to ensure compliance with procurement rules, practices and techniques, regulations, and procedures;
- Coordinate with staff in HQ and Country Offices on matters relating to procurement rules by aiding, advice, training, and guidance when needed;
- Develop trusted relationships with key stakeholders both inside and external to the Bank Group;
- Develop and manage contract renewal schedules for all ongoing recruitment contracts;
- Plan, develop and implement outreach programs providing guidance on contracts administration, as well as oversight (e.g., ex. post and ex ante audits).
- Performs other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in IT, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Accounting or related fields; having a certification in at least one module of SAP or other ERP systems, and/or a membership of an accounting, finance or planning body is an added advantage;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience in developing and implementing budget or financial management systems as well as processing, analysing and presenting budget and other statistical or accounting information; Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Good knowledge of operational and project management systems would be advantageous;
- Capacity for formulation, conceptual and strategic analysis and good command of budgetary, operational management and performance monitoring matters;
- Demonstrated capacity to lead and advise on new projects, initiatives and change management initiatives;
- Problem Solving: Identify problems associated with changes in methodology and utilize business knowledge to resolve them;
- Provide clear, concise oral and written communication in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language, and the ability to present oral information with appropriate style and adapts language to suit a particular audience’s requirements; encourage open and frank communications in all interactions;
- Team Working and Relationships: Track record in leading teams and steering them towards informed policy choices and ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients within and outside the Bank and deliver results that meet their needs and long-term interests;
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities under tight deadlines;
- Competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP, with emphasis on SAP-CO and Funds Management), BI tools (preferably BIW and Dashboards) and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
26th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.