The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Administration and Finance Officer (AUC-PCRD)
Requisition ID: 1001
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Reports to: Executive Secretary / Senior Finance Officer
Directorate / Department: African Union Centre for Post-conflict Reconstruction and Development (AUC-PCRD)
Division: Office of the Executive Secretary and the Finance & Administration Unit (one each)
Job Grade: GSA4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The Senior Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible of leading and coordinating all finance and administration (human resource management, procurement, ICT, facilities management etc.) related tasks under the AUC-PCRD.
- He/She locally reports to the Executive Secretary while functionally reports to the Directorate of Finance, the Directorate of Human Resource Management and the Directorate of Operation Services and Supply on financial, human resources management and overall administrative matters respectively.
Finance and Accounting:
- Manage a complete financial function of the Office which would include a number of different and diverse operations and inter-related accounts of the financial system;
- Lead and ensure effective budget preparation (both operational and programme), budget implementation and reporting of budget execution on quarterly basis;
- Supervise the processing and the verification of all bank payments and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate;
- Work as focal person in relation to the management of the Bank accounts of the AU Commission Headquarters maintained in Cairo, Egypt on the account of the Office;
- Supervise the preparation of monthly payroll and related Staff emoluments, adjustment of the local bank balance at the end of each month;
- Ensure the preparation of financial statements for audit;
- Supervise the preparation of financial reports for the consideration of the AU Commission Headquarters and other stakeholders as need be, as well as the certification of general expenditures;
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained accurately;
- Provide advice on financial policies, their application and related procedures for the office in accordance with the AU Financial Regulations and Rules;
- Provide advice and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the Organization’s Financial Regulations and Rules and Circulars;
- Ensure the proper maintenance of financial records of the Office;
- Perform any other financial and administrative related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Human Resource Management:
- Supervise and manage the employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation. Continuously interact with Staff and listen to their concerns/comments on relevant HR and Finance issues, and escalate to the attention of relevant authority where necessary;
- Ensure that updated personnel data is maintained (in relation Staff contract, leave management, up-to-date personnel information etc.);
- Maintain full documents on grievances, terminations, absences, performance reports, and compensation and benefits information;
- Supervise and lead the drafting and issuance of various internal and external correspondences related to financial and administrative matters;
- Plan, coordinate, and supervise the performance evaluation process of Staff at the level of the Office;
- Coordinate with the AU Commission Headquarters in ensuring timely staffing of the Centre as well as employee contract management;
- Provide advice on human resource management and administrative policies, their application and related procedures for the Office in accordance with the AU Staff Regulations and Rules and various administrative Circulars. Provide technical advice in financial and HR matters;
- Provide advice and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the Organization’s Staff Regulations and Rules as well as Administrative Instructions and Circulars.
- Supervise procurement activities and other acquisitions of goods and services in accordance with the AU Procurement Manual, the maintenance of up –to-date files, records and documentation of service providers/contracts;
- Administer the asset management system of the Office;
- Lead and control administrative support on issuance of travel documents, i.e. tickets and related documents, in accordance with the AU Travel Policy;
- Supervise the ICT activities of the Centre and coordinate the liaison with respective offices at the AU Commission Headquarters for related support services among others;
- Perform any other administrative related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Masters University Degree in Accounting, Business Management, or related fields with seven (7) years relevant progressive experience out of which three (3) years must be at a supervisory level OR Bachelor Degree in the fields mentioned above and ten (10) years of relevant progressive experience out of which three (3) years must be in a supervisory role.
- Professional Qualification of ACCA, SIMA, CPA or other equivalent certification will be considered as an advantage.
- Work experience in international organizations, preferably public international institutions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the financial, human resource, procurement and administrative systems of international public organizations. Experience in diplomatic setting will be an advantage.
- Experience with the SAP system; an in-depth understanding of the IPSAS.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multicultural environment. Previous international experience is an advantage.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills.
- Ability to delegate responsibility, accountability and decision making authority as appropriate.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer etc. Work experience in accounting packages is required. Knowledge of SAP finance module will be an advantage.
- Very good strategic insight, ability to assess and link short-term tasks and long-term strategies
- Ability to coach and develop Staff in order to assist them in meeting performance expectations and development goals, provide adequate feedback.
- Ability to manage change, develop new approaches and take calculated risks; provide support to Staff and subordinates to contribute.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is required. Knowledge of one or several other working language (s) of the African Union (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) would be an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 19,103.64 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
4th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online