Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Employment Type: Full Time
Supervisor: Security Coordinator, NE
- The Security officer will discharge his/her assignment under the guidance of the FHI 360 Security Coordinator to support safe implementation of Program activities through close cooperation. The Security officer will mitigate the risks poised to Programs, personnel and assets through provision of expertise and focused Security Management support.
- The Security officer will support the lead in staff safety and security management for FHI 360- and will assist the Security Coordinator and Security Director to ensure that organizational security policies and procedures are responsive to the context, and that security plans and measures are implemented in line with the dynamic security environment.
- The SO will ensure provision of early warning advisories affecting security situations for FHI 360 Program activities and will travel extensively to all States of implementation on short notice and support staff capacity to work more effectively and contribute to reducing FHI 360’s operational vulnerabilities.
- The SO position reports to the FHI 360 Security Coordinator, NE Nigeria and works closely with all projects in the Northeast but with the possibility of support to FHI360 projects in other locations if required.
Essential Responsibilities and Specific Roles
Safety & Security Management:
- Support security risk assessments (SRA) based on contextual risk levels including the Safety and Security for all staff, eligible dependents, resources, assets, facilities, programs while ensuring compliance with FHI 360’s Security policy.
- Support the development and updating of State/project contingency plans.
- Conduct periodic and appropriate rapid site security surveys of premises, advice on shortfalls in security preparedness and provide recommendations for upgrades.
- Provide training and capacity building for staff and security focal points to ensure employees are aware of operating environment and personal safeguards required for work in the field.
- Support the development of strategies to improve security Management systems for effectiveness, efficiency, considering new business needs, team dynamics and project mission.
- Provide advice on selection and procurement of appropriate equipment for security including services and work with contracted Security Companies to ensure compliance as per agreements.
Security Awareness, Briefing & Training:
- Ensure new staff are taken through a Security orientation and understand the FHI 360 Security Policy and security platform
- Contribute to security related updates on daily basis for staff briefings and updates with advice on mitigation measures and ensure staff adhere to security policies and procedures
- Provide advance security advice and briefing to staff and visitors intending to travel to Nigeria.
- Conduct periodic briefing to State offices, partners and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks.
- Attend external security information sharing meetings with key security networks such as INSO, PLSO, UNDSS, OSAC.
- Brief drivers and other personnel.
- Support in providing training to improve staff security skills.
- Ensure state offices have adequate life safety measures, assets & both drivers and vehicle follow safety standards and requirements
- Ensure all facilities are well prepared in fire safety and any other natural hazards
- Organize safety & security awareness, fire drills and life safety training for all staff.
- Ensure Hotels to be prequalified for use by FHI 360 business meet the minimum requirement for FHI360.
- Track staff movements and ensure accountability of staff while on travel, ensure there is response plan in the event of any uncertainties
Incident & Crisis Management:
- Serve as the initial contact and coordinator for all emergencies, incidents involving staff and assets and inform the COP of actions taken
- Support the updating of FHI 360 Security Plans annually;
- Be part of the incident management team.
General Duties for Projects:
- Visit offices as required.
- Maintain database for key security contacts.
- Supervise equipment and security upgrades related to safety and security including training.
- Ability to and willingness to change work practices and hours in event of emergencies.
- Act as back up for Security Coordinator.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Bachelor’s Degree preferable in Security Management or related field.
- Professional certification in security risk management or advanced security management highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years working in security Industry, experience working in complex insecure settings preferred.
- 3 years working in Security management for NGO or development organization
- Experience in liaising with law enforces in Nigeria
- Experience in managing incidents, incident mapping, developing and producing high quality security reports and assessments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations and previous security experience preferred.
- Effective interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, conflict and ethical management skills, strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning
- Ability to develop security related technical tools, guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision.
- Excellent English language skills (oral and written) required
- Current certification in first Aid desired
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, culture and social ethics
- Competency in internet and Microsoft office systems including word, excel, power point and access and other database mapping systems.
- Ability to develop and deliver security trainings within the NGO context.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online