The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Salary Policy Assistant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Slots: 2 Openings
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Agency Department: Human Resources
Directorate: Human Resources
Division: Salary Policy & Pension Administration
Line Supervisor: HR Officer, Salary Policy
- Under the supervision of the Salary Policy Officer, the position compiles and records staff payroll data details, variations and ensure reduction in the incidence of complaints by staff on benefits related issues while making sure staff have better understanding of the components of compensation/benefits items by promptly answering questions/queries.
Role and Responsibilities
- Assists the HR Officer, Salary Policy & Pension Administration with day-to-day benefits administration (maintains all employee benefit files)
- Analyze, prepare and input payroll data using SAP/HCM to produce accurate and timely payroll
- Support compliance with all applicable regulations;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, variations, deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) for all staff as well as other reports when required, including for Internal and External Audit;
- Input and implement staff annual increments and other variations where applicable;
- Maintain payroll, pensions payments, benefits, allowances database;
- Perform preparation of staff salaries and other emoluments on a monthly basis;
- Perform timely payment of staff terminal benefits;
- Keep all payroll records (hard copies and soft copies) safe
- Assist HR Officer, Salary Policy & Pension Administration in maintaining, and monitoring HR legal regulations of all benefit programs to ensures compliance with Member States regulations
- Assist in the preparation and reconciliation of payroll adjustments, including final reconciliation of an employee’s payroll when they go off contract
- Analyze financial risks in payroll procedures and recommends improvements
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Brevet de Technicien Superieur (BTS) / Ordinary National Diploma (OND) or equivalent in Accounting, Banking & Finance or any similar filed from a recognized Univeristy.
- 5 years’ experience in administrative duties preferably in Compensation and Benefits or Payroll administration is required at the international level. Experience with human resources SAP HCM module or other similar system is desirable;
- Technical knowledge of human resources management in a private/ public sector or international organization;
- Knowledge of Human Resources policies, procedures and practices relating to specific unit of job function;
- Practical knowledge of SAP/HCM Payroll is an advantage
- In-depth knowledge of salary policy best practices
- Knowledge of HR processes relating to payroll administration, aspects of recruitment and interviews administration
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze, and format data from a variety of source using relevant HCM modules or other similar system where necessary;
- Knowledge of Staff Regulations, directives, and policies of relevance to the execution of duties associated with the position;
- Knowledge of standard computer applications and of SAP HCM modules or other similar system in performing specialized or complex tasks;
- Knowledge of HR processes relating to payroll administration, aspects of recruitment and administration
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data from a variety of source using relevant SAP/HCM modules or other similar system where necessary;
- Knowledge of HR Management best practices;
- Nationals of The Federal Republic of Nigeria and other ECOWAS member-states resident in Nigeria.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Ability to assume a credible presence when explaining rules, standards and expectations (e.g. deadlines) to ensure compliance and work expectations are met;
- Ability to motivate self and/or others to engage in discussions that will result in recommendations to improve processes, templates or other work tools;
- Ability to engage in positive approaches to teamwork, participate actively in discussions and the achievement of team goals;
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance with the occasional guidance from the supervisor/mentor;
- Ability to build capacity of self and others by sharing knowledge, tools, expertise and experience with others to remain proficient and well informed in the execution of assigned role.
- Interpersonal, listening and multitasking skills with a good understanding of client service responsibilities and role in representing ECOWAS values in all interactions;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve routine problems associated with assigned tasks using good judgment in involving colleagues or superiors as required;
- Ability to work as part of a team to resolve concerns, problems and improve services;
- Ability to manage own time effectively and organize own work area in a manner that will meet performance expectations related to assigned client services;
- Ability to direct people to the appropriate source for further information and ask for help when overwhelmed with client demands.
- Ability to apply culturally-relevant and appropriate approaches with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Good diversity management skills to interact with individuals in a manner that is culturally appropriate and in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies;
- Ability to recognize preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals and to successfully adopt inclusive and culturally appropriate behaviors;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Knowledge of diversity management as it relates to daily work expectations and assigned tasks.
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate and operational goals of relevance to assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to keep up-to-date with Departmental activities, schedules and goals of pertinence to own work team, functional area;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS procedures relevant to assigned work and the ability to apply sound judgment in their application;
- Demonstrated strong interest and commitment to ECOWAS values and activities in daily assumption of duties.
- Excellent ability to maintain, process and provide accurate information as part of assigned tasks;
- Ability to organize files and information for easy retrieval and record keeping;
- Ability to spot mistakes, act promptly to correct them and learn from experiences;
- Knowledge and ability to challenge and question fundamental assumptions regarding accepted ways of doing things in the spirit of improvement
- Ability to use current technology to communicate effectively e.g. office software programs, including spreadsheets, word processing and graphic presentation software; ability to type and format presentations, reports, manuals, newsletters, website content and proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Well-developed information sharing skills using technology and in accordance in established processes and practices;
- Advanced verbal assertiveness and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to acknowledge and understand the validity of others’ viewpoints and to respond in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Working knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to allocate time for specific task in a manner that will meet deadlines and quality/quantity expectations
- Good organizational skills with an excellent ability to break down work into smaller parts and focusing on the most important steps first; with appropriate guidance, ability to contribute to maintaining organizational performance standards throughout implementation of new processes, practices and plans adopted by the Department and of relevance to assigned tasks;
- Ability to monitor progress and to consider new goals in the context of assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to follow through with commitments made to others.
- UA20,166.30 / USD31,818.39
- UA25,527.53 / USD40,277.34
- UA30,178.98 / USD47,616.39
Application Closing Date
6th June, 2022.