US Embassy – The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Public Affairs Assistant – All Interested Candidates (EducationUSA Advising Assistant)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-032-RA
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 6002 7
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-7
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 07. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required:
- 25% or less
- Travel for work related duties.
- Under the general supervision of the EducationUSA Advising Supervisor, incumbent works with all EducationUSA Advisers at American Spaces, Corners and Windows to be able to carry out general advising duties.
- Incumbent provides accurate, comprehensive, and current advice, and counseling on educational opportunities in the United States for groups and individuals.
- Incumbent assists to draw up the annual strategic plan and budget for the three EducationUSA Advising Centers in Southern Nigeria.
- Incumbent serves as an information source on the Nigerian education system and a point of contact for U.S. higher education representatives, Consular officers.
- Host country government officials, and others engaged in the field of international education.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A University Degree in Education, Management, International Relations, Language or Marketing is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in a multinational educational or cultural work environment, with education, communication, marketing and public outreach duties as significant parts of the job.
- Good knowledge of U.S. foreign policy and American interests as they apply to the host country and especially to the Public sector. Detailed knowledge of the U.S. higher education system and good knowledge of the U.S. political system, American history, literature, culture and geography.
- Good understanding of the full range of PD tactics and tools designed to engage Education outreach audiences, strategic objectives, assessment methods and outcomes, as well as knowledge of the multiple Public Diplomacy resource streams and related restrictions.
- Good knowledge of the structure and standards of the educational system in both Nigeria and the United States.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency in speaking / reading / writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- The position requires the following: good public speaking and communication skills; knowledge of social media marketing; ability to draft written reports; basic accounting skills using Microsoft Excel to balance budgets; demonstrated problem-solving skills; ability to multitask and handle multiple priorities quickly and effectively, and good interviewing skills to obtain relevant information.
- Familiarity with financial planning and willingness to travel is required. Position requires knowledge of various computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, and the ability to use agency specific software, databases, and reporting tools; and must be able to use social media and mobile platform, Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs), podcast creation, basic photo and video tools.
- Must be able to lift moderately heavy items/boxes (books/promotional items) up to 25kg.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN6,445,212 (USD $38,894) Annually.
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interestes and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption Document
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Passport copy
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable).
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.