Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychologist
Location: MSF OCA, Sokoto Project (Flying Position)
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Responsible for providing psychosocial, mental health support to national staff and in case of incidents to international staff with technical support and clinical supervision from the Staff Health Unit from HQ.
- Provision of psychosocial and mental health support for national staff both in groups and individually
- Identification and assessment of stress related issues and mental health (exposures to traumatic events, vicarious trauma, burnouts, compassionate fatigue, and personal factors), improving staff coping mechanisms
- Referral/ case manage clients in need of psychiatric support.
- Organisation of psycho-education and self-help group session for the national staff
- Liaise and build local professional network of mental health professional.
- Management of clear boundaries between individual support and operations.
- Design psycho-education material for national staff
- Data monitoring and reporting
- Keep strict confidentiality.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Work in collaboration with the MTLs at the project level/ medical coordination to support staff health, ensuring positive mental health for project staff to enhance productivity.
- Promote healthy behaviors and prevention of diseases among staff through share of information.
- Provide training and information to staff on psychological well-being and stress management
- Provide support during a crisis; carry out an assessment, and diagnostic tests, give individual, family, and group psychotherapy.
- Support projects in the management of poor performance among project staff.
- May support the project team during conflict resolution
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants Must meet the following criteria:
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Desirable: Masters Psychology, Clinical Social Work.
- Essential 2 years experience minimum as a Cinical Psychologist.
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
- Clinical experience in health setting, cognitive behavioral treatment experience, previous staff health counselling experience. Experience supporting people exposed to vicarious trauma.
- Mission language essential; Local language desirable.
- Desirable computer literacy (MS word, excel and internet); Proven ability to manage organizational boundaries, organizational psychology background
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF principles. Service orientation and Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
5:00 PM: 22nd June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.