The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer – P3
Requisition ID: 171607
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Typ: Fixed Term
The Role and Organizational Context
- Under the direct direction of the Head of Area Office and the technical oversight of the Deputy Country Director (Operations), the Protection and Accountability to Affected Population (AAP) Advisor – Head of Protection and AAP Unit (below referenced as HoProt) will be responsible for providing strategic orientations in protection and AAP.
- This includes overseeing the implementation of protection and AAP activities in WFP’s operations in Nigeria, supervising the CO protection and AAP personnel and coordinating the partner protection and AAP officers and assistants hired within the context of field level agreements with WFP.
- This will include providing operational and programmatic advice on the operational integration of the WFP Nigeria CO Protection and AAP strategy and working closely with WFP technical units including support services and respective sectors (Food, Logistics, Communication) to mainstream protection & AAP throughout WFP operations in North-East Nigeria.
- The Protection and AAP Advisor also plays a key role in supporting the implementation of the WFP Gender Policy in coordination with the WFP Gender Focal Point and the WFP CO Strategy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (draft) in collaboration with the WFP Senior SEA Focal Point.
- The HoProt leads the protection team which is composed of two national protection officers and one international protection officer and works in close coordination with the Head of the Programme Unit, as well as with the Heads of Nutrition, Livelihoods, Vulnerability Assessment Mapping (VAM), M&E, Communication, Compliance, Security and Supply Chain so that protection is effectively integrated at various levels of WFP’s response, including in operational support-related activities, as well as ensure that staff is trained accordingly.
- The HoProt is responsible for the overall yearly implementation, monitoring and reporting on the Nigeria CO Protection and AAP Strategy and the protection component of the Country Strategic Plan (CSP).
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
You will be responsible for the following duties:
- Leadership & Advocacy on Protection and AAP-Provide leadership on protection related policy issues to the Nigeria Country Office including on the choice of protection objectives, policies and context-based priorities, including by ensuring alignment of the HCT/OHCT-endorsed policies with WFP Nigeria Protection, Gender and AAP policies and strategies.
- Define and Oversee the Implementation of the Nigeria CO Protection Component of the Country Strategic Plan and respective Policies on Protection and AAP- Manage a team of three protection officers across three locations Yobe, Adamawa and Borno and provide the technical framework for the scope of work of WFP’s implementing partner protection officers & assistants.
- Advice WFP and Partners on the Integration of Protection and AAP into WFP Operations in Nigeria-Develop and define strategic and operational measures to integrate the findings from the protection analyses of issues that are impacting WFP beneficiaries and their communities and the linkages to food security and food assistance.
- Work with all relevant staff and in collaboration with the Head of Area office to develop responses, ensuring that these are integrated in WFP’s programming and operational activities at the country office level.
- Integrate Protection Considerations Relevant for WFP Operations in Nigeria into WFP’s tools and Processes-Coordinate and provide technical leadership to assessments, analysis and to design, formulate, implement and monitor the integration of protection, AAP and gender into
- WFP food assessment programmes. Draft or review country strategies & approaches as required to ensure protection is mainstreamed and AAP is integrated.
- Staff Training and Capacity Building-Provide WFP protection officers, the relevant technical units and the and cooperating partners with active guidance on the integration of protection and AAP within the context of WFP operations in Nigeria by developing and overseeing the implementation of a training and on the job mentoring scheme.
- Inter-agency coordination and representation-Assist WFP to coordinate with other UN humanitarian agencies, NGO, INGO partners and other relevant interlocutors on assessments of current and emerging protection issues and response planning and explore strategic partnerships that .
- Represent WFP in the inter-agency protection fora (Protection Working Group, GBV and Child protection sub-working groups, the civil-military taskforce), as well as individual protection actors to ensure complementarity with the overall strategy on protection.
- Complaints and Feedback Mechanism and Reporting System for Protection-Support the roll-out of the WFP Nigeria Complaint and Feedback Standard operating procedures and the development of relevant tools and guidance.
- Provide advice, guidance and follow-up in relation to protection aspects of the complaints and feedback mechanism and continue to explore how a system of reporting protection issues within the context of WFP’s operation in Nigeria can be established and sustained.
- Safe Delivery of Assistance-In collaboration with the Head of Programme Unit, Access Unit, CIVMIL (Logistics Sector), Head of Logistics and Head of Security provide advice, guidance and follow-up on measures to ensure safe distributions.
- Ensure that protection integration is consistent with WFP policies Executive Board and other operational and protection guidance.
- Contribute to the Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis and contingency planning for the integration protection considerations and arising protection issues and other corporate and donor reporting requirements.
Qualifications and Key Requirements
- Advanced University Degree in one of the following disciplines: Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations, Human Rights, Political Science or another related field or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least 5 years of solid, responsible and relevant work experience in a humanitarian organization or with an organization/agency dealing with protection of civilians, human rights or gender-based violence in a humanitarian emergency context.
- Fluency (level C) in the English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (A WFP’s working language)
More About You:
- Ability to lead a team and strong coordination and communication skills to advocate for protection, AAP and gender across different fields and technical units.
- Strong analytical, writing skills, and communication skills
- Sound knowledge and skills in training and facilitation
- Knowledge of UN system policies and functions of protection-mandated agencies
- Flexibility to travel on short notice and in challenging and difficult environments.
- Team spirit and excellent interpersonal relations.
Application Closing Date
25th September, 2022 (11:59 PM CET).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete, and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable).
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application.
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at [email protected] in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified