The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant G5, Nutrition
Requisition ID: 170194
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area/Field Offices (AOs/FOs). Job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or Head of Field Office.
- The job holder will be responsible for the completion of a range of Nutrition specialized and/or standardized processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices.
- The Job holder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance.
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis.
- Job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff. He/she will work under the supervision the head of Nutrition Unit and should perform analyses policies, guidelines and reports to support consistency and smooth implementation of programmes/projects.
- To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
Key Responsibilities (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive)
Reporting directly to the Act2 (Nutrition) Lead, the staff member is responsible to:
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of Nutrition Specific activities and processes supporting alignment with WFP policies and guidelines.
- Provide support to implement Nutrition Sensitive activities through WFP other programmes (Livelihood, General Food Assistance, School feeding, etc.) with particular emphasis on improving the effects relating to nutrition.
- Ensure supply to CPs/FDPs of essential NFI (communication and demonstration, registers) for the implementation of programmes.
- Provide specialized project management support to Blanket and Targeted Supplementary Feeding programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, programme status, 5Ws, outputs and performance ) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of nutrition data and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Communicate with cooperating partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and State government in Nutrition-related areas.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within the Nutrition Unit under the supervision of the Head of Unit.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support the Nutrition unit quickly respond to a crisis and deploy needed resources to affected areas.
- Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Other Post Requirements (details to be determined by Post Managers):
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
- Provide support to entry of monthly distribution report in COMET.
- Prepare and submit FRNs and liaise with Supply chain to ensure timely delivery of food to CPs and government where appropriate.
- Assist the program manager in the management of WFP nutrition programmes in the in coordination with the government, the United Nations agencies of other stakeholders.
- Review Narrative reports and CPDRs shared by CPs in a timely manner.
- Participate in the analysis of proposals submitted to WFP by CPs and ensure that nutrition interventions and / or nutritional aspects; are in line with country strategies and implementation arrangements, and provide technical advice to ensure compliance with existing guidelines and standards;
- Any other tasks requested.
Standard Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Completion of Secondary School education. A post-secondary certificate in Health, Nutrition or related discipline.
Desired experiences for entry Into the role:
- Has a minimum of 3 years working experience in implementation of Nutrition activities (BSFP and TSFP) in North East Nigeria.
- General Knowledge of WFP nutrition monitoring and reporting processess.
- Knowledge of the local language and socio-cultural context of the duty station.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and in the main language used in the North East of Nigeria.
WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2022 at 11:59 Nigerian Time (GMT +1).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permit are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.