Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager II – MEAL
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- We are seeking qualified applicants for the following position for an anticipated USAID-funded 5-year Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity.
- You will manage and provide technical oversight for MEAL in the development and implementation of the Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity, ensuring effective MEAL systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your MEAL-related management skills and knowledge will ensure that the project delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of the award.
- The Activity will potentially explore practical, cost effective, and multi-stakeholder adaptation solutions to improve livelihoods of poor and vulnerable communities in target states through:
- Improved agricultural productivity, livelihood and agroecosystem resilience through climate-smart practices;
- Improved ecological and environmental services and functions, including enhanced climate-resilient water and other resource management and supply systems in vulnerable agro-pastoral communities;
- Strengthened institutional capacity to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socio-economic losses and livelihood failures in the target states; and
- Improved and productive livestock systems to improve food security and nutrition by (potentially) improving consumption of animal source / protein foods, providing income generation opportunities, and fostering mutual relationships among targeted households and communities.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight for MEAL throughout the Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity project cycle to ensure project start-up, implementation and close-out are in line with CRS quality principles and standards and MEAL policies, procedures, and practices; USAID MEAL guidelines, and industry best practices.
- Effectively manage talent for MEAL and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff wellbeing. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Champion the development of program learning – identify opportunities for learning, research and publications in improving livelihoods of poor and vulnerable communities and implementation of MEAL policy. Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency knowledge management agenda. Promote the application of learning to improve program quality and to strengthen agency influence among external stakeholders. Ensure integration of MEAL-related innovations and best practices.
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight for the development and implementation of high-quality MEAL systems and processes, including ICT4MEAL and the application of responsible data principles as per agency and donor requirements. Promoting MEAL policies and industry good practices, champion the analysis and use of project performance data to inform decision-making and identify lessons learned. Facilitate connections between colleagues and peers to generate and share evidence-based learning.
- Provide management, guidance and technical oversight for project or program evaluation events and research, including the development of terms of reference or study protocols that include evaluation/learning questions, a balance of qualitative and quantitative methods, appropriate consideration of ethical and data protection standards, and the necessary technical rigor. Oversee the quality of evaluation data through good data management. Support the identification, recruitment, and management of external evaluators or research partners to ensure high quality evaluation, research, and learning.
- Oversee MEAL-related technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities for staff and partner organizations to enhance program quality and impact.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of partnerships relevant to MEAL and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Oversees timely and appropriate project MEAL expenditures in line with financial plans and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources.
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or in the field of MEAL required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relevant field-based project management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in the area of MEAL.
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects preferably with an international NGO.
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Exceptional verbal and written communications in English.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Project staff, Country Representative, Deputy Country Representative – Programs, Country Program MEAL Manager, Regional Technical Advisor for MEAL.
- External: USAID,Project partner staff.
MEAL Competencies (for CRS MEAL Program Staff)
Each staff member in this position is expected to have advanced knowledge and ability and can apply the following competencies in new or complex situations. Guides other professionals:
- MEAL in Design
- Analysis and Critical Thinking
- Management in MEAL
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is contingent upon approved funding by the donor.
- All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
- CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer