Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time, Regular
Reports Directly to: Director of Operations
Works Directly with: Field Managers, Program Managers, Finance Manager, HR Manager, Operations Coordinators, and all Operations team as required.
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Manager will be responsible for supervising all purchases of goods, services and works of Mercy Corps’ Country program.
- S/he will train and oversee a team while ensuring that a support strategy for healthy,robust,and integrated systems is in place.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Analyze the procurementteam set up in every office. Propose adjustment; recruit and train staff accordingly to guarantee a high-performing and professional team is in place.
- Develop/improvethe management tools necessary to make optimal decisions
- Provide senior leadership with the data and analysis necessary to make optimal decisions.
- Analyze and propose changes to procedures based on needs and risk management.
- Orientate procurement staff and provide service-oriented training to enable work with other non-procurement staff effectively.
- Provide direct support to and ensure that all MC Nigeria offices have high standards in procurement.
- Ensure that the procurement Team and all relevant employees have correctly assimilated and applied the new field Procurement Policies and procedures FP3
- Provide training to staff on this news policy (or refresher training as necessary)
- Assist Program and operational personnel in the regular procurement planning meetings.
- Work closely with program managers, Operations director and operations Managers to develop/ updatepolicies, procedures and set up better adapted to procurement for emergency programs.
- Lead the implementation of market surveysin all locations where Mercy Corps operates
- Maintain files on market prices forcommonly boughtitems.
- Organize proper filing of the procedure-related documentation accordingtomercy corps standards
- Maintain a comprehensive dashboard for procurement to ensure follow-up and analysis is updated on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Engage with program managers for the development and regular updating of procurement plans for each project
- Regularly produce purchase status and completed purchases reports using the Ongoing PR Master List and PR Master List
- Maintain a comprehensive dashboard for procurement; to ensure good planning of allupdateson a weekly and monthly basis.
- Ensure ongoing communication with the different departments to ensure good planning of all purchasesin a collaborative and respective manners
- Ensure maximum use of Master Agreement and yearly renewal of these agreements
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Establish MSA&MPAs supplier agreements for commonly used items
- Ensure all contracts and contractual terms are respected by supplier and mercy corps and respect local legislation
- Ensure all tenders are done in accordance with the procedure and archived according to mercy corps procedures
- Provide team members with information,toolsand other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
- Provide direct support toensurethat all MC Nigeria officesmeetminimum standards in procurement management.
- Guide and supervise the team according to the performance revealed in the dashboard
- Create and sustain a working environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicateexpectationsand provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise,hireand orient new team members as necessaryand provide full orientation for the newly hired team members
- Review job descriptions as necessary and include performance indicators. Conduct annual performance evaluation.
- Develop and implement KPIs for the procurement team
- Ensure training and capacity building for procurement team membersin order toincrease the level of technical ability and skills within the department
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Implement a management dashboard to provide accurate data on the department’s performance and proposes as well as implementchanges
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations
- Uphold Mercy Corps’ zero-tolerance policy against corruption
- Provide training to program team members on procurement compliance procurement tools use
Influence & Representation:
- Represent Mercy Corps at the relevant external meeting
- Consult with other NGOs to identify the best potential suppliers and providers
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets anddonor’sobligations are met
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Directly supervises all Procurement team members/staff in Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual FP3, the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA / B.Sc Degree in Supply Chain Management and/ or International Business in a relevant Business field.
- 5+ years of experience sitting up managing procurement systems with INGOs with supervisory responsibilities.
- Demonstrated understandingof a complexenvironment. Related security concerns and appropriate response with experience in a secure context
- Strong organizationalskills:ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel in a sensitive environment.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- High level of computer skills in MS Office programs.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action so as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor (USAID, EU, DFID,OFDA) compliance is essential.
- The successful Procurement Manager will be good at problem-solving andhave the ability towork out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations.
- S/he will maintainstrong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity, while demonstrating the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities.
- S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria and requires travel to other offices 60%. Security in the field locations requires additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity, and water is available but might be erratic.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Closing Date
11th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants should have their CV and Cover Letter in one document not more than four (4) pages long, addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.