African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Water Resources Management and Development Officer, AHWS.2
Position Number: 50069876
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five priority areas “High 5’s”, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”.
- The Complex comprises five departments:
- Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development
- Agriculture Finance and Rural Development
- Gender, Women and Civil Society
- Water Development and Sanitation
- Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
- The complex objectives are mainly:
- To develop related policies and strategies
- Provide deep Sector expertise on complex transactions
- Develop new financing instruments
- Represent the Bank with external stakeholders on the aspects of “Feed Africa and to Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is part of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Department Complex (AHVP).
- The Department is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s (Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, water-related Power and Light Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life).
- The Department also supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
- The AHWS.2 works in tandem with AHWS.1 and the AWF to provide the Bank thought leadership for water development and sanitation in Africa.
- The Department, and AHWS.2 play a lead role in supporting Africa to attain water security through the provision of technical expertise, generation and dissemination of pertinent sector knowledge and fostering strategic partnerships. Specifically, in line with the mandate of the Department, AHWS.2 provides guidance in the following thematic areas, among others:
- Integrated & Transboundary Water Resources Development and Management for Water Security;
- Water Supply for All
- Sanitation for All
- Water Sector Governance; as well as the cross-cutting areas including gender, climate change, private sector engagement and fragility.
- The position of the Principal Water Resources Management and Development Officer, has the following work objectives:
- Liaising with other experts in the regional-level stakeholders and maintaining collaboration with regional hubs and other water-related complexes in the Bank.
- The position contributes towards the development of pertinent knowledge and provide technical inputs on sustainable and affordable water supply technologies and approaches, towards building water security in Africa with a special focus on urban areas.
- Contribute to the Bank’s water resources management and development programs, considering the increasing demand for water, rising conflict among competing water uses, climate change, fragility, urban development, and other key global trends.
- Facilitate cohesive approaches to guide the Bank on water resources development to foster enhanced water security in Africa. Areas of responsibility will include project/program development, resource coordination, technical advice, identification of resource issues, policy development, and advocacy on water security.
- Contribute to the development of plans for the continent’s water supply agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water for all and ensuring water quality standards towards improved quality of life for the people of Africa.
Policies, Strategies and Business Plans:
- Monitor the implementation of the Bank’s water policy and provide technical inputs to the review, preparation and updating of the Bank’s strategies, business plans and guidelines related to water resources management and development.
- Provide technical inputs to the Division’s contribution to the development and review of strategies, business plans and guidelines prepared by other departments from the water supply perspective;
- Provide backstopping support to regional member countries (RMCs) for the preparation of national water supply, strategies, and investment plans towards the achievement of national goals and the SDGs.
- Support the review process of project proposals prepared by the regional hubs and contribute to all aspects that relate to water supply.
Water Sector Knowledge Management:
- Undertake analytical work to generate and disseminate knowledge products on water supply with particular focus on: (i) green and affordable technologies; (ii) water value chain and private sector engagement; (iii) integrated water management and use; (iv) life cycle water costs; (v) sustainable service delivery; among others.
- Provide technical guidance and disseminate knowledge on approaches for addressing inclusivity and sustainability aspects of water supply services delivery including climate change adaptation and mitigation, human rights to water, gender, and service delivery in conflict affected areas, within Bank operations.
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping support in the preparation of country and/or sector studies to promote inclusive, sustainable and affordable water supplies services at country level for improved livelihoods and well-being.
- Support the implementation of capacity development programs for Bank staff and RMCs related to water supply.
- Provide technical inputs to the community of practice on water supply to facilitate knowledge exchange within the Bank and to harmonize service standards across the regional hubs.
- Oversee preparation or produce a range of key water sector practice/technical reports, etc. Lead initiatives to establish framework and approach to knowledge dissemination and/or the development of water sector knowledge products.
- Contribute to the Bank’s engagement with key external stakeholders such as the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW), the African Ministerial Conference on Environment (AMCEN), Sanitation and Water for All (SWA), Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Network, African Water Association (AfWA), World Water Council, etc.
- Contribute to the review and monitoring of ongoing regional and international discourse on water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH);
- Provide technical inputs for Bank contribution to the global and regional sector dialogue in water conferences and platforms such as Stockholm World Water Week, World Water Forum, World Water Council, and Sanitation and Water for All, etc.
Coordination and Collaboration within the Bank for Water Security:
- Support the preparation of annual work plan and budget of the Department’s activities related to water supply.
- Contribute to the Water Coordination Committee to promote approaches for maximizing the contribution of other water-related interventions to water supply.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, or related discipline.
- Recognized technical, operational, and/or policy-oriented expertise and at least six (6) years of extensive and progressive experience. This experience may include work in governments, academia, private companies, consulting firms, and multilateral institutions.
- Knowledge and experience in undertaking project cycle activities particularly: investment planning, identification, preparation, appraisal and administration of water infrastructure (including water and sanitation, dams and multipurpose storage, irrigation, hydropower, climate risk management, etc.),
- Excellent understanding of water sector management and development issues, challenges and opportunities in Africa. Ability to think innovatively and strategically in dealing with technical and/or policy issues while maintaining a strong client focus.
- Knowledge of integrated water resources management (WRM), water sector reforms, climate change and climate risk assessments, public-private partnerships, sector coordination, innovative financing mechanisms and pro-poor strategies
- Demonstrated ability to identify and articulate policy issues, support analytical work (sector trade-offs and priorities, structuring of sanitation value chains), provide advisory services and deliver high quality innovative operational products
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality documents and analytical reports in the water sector.
- A high degree of dynamism and self-motivation, as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Effective verbal, analytical and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
24th March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified International Status and attracts International Terms and Conditions of employment.