Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Total Rewards Advisor
Location: Nigeria (Remotely to start with, may be required to work in one of the local countries)
Type of role: 12 month fixed term contract
Functional Area: West & Central Africa, Middle Eastern, Eastern and Southern African and Asia Pacific
Reports To: Head of Reward
Travel Requires: Up to 60% time sometimes at short notice
- Plan International has launched a 2-3 year project to introduce the concept of Total Reward across all the regions in which it operates.
- This aims to ensure Plan International is able to attract and retain top talent through a fair, equitable and competitive global pay and reward system that ensures their well-being. The project relies heavily on the use of the Hay job evaluation method.
- The project is structured into phases as follows:
- Phase 1 evaluating and addressing job grades and salaries
- Phase 2 addressing benefits and wellbeing
- Phase 3 addressing contracts and other employment terms and conditions.
- This position will play a key role in the support to implementing the Total Reward project across West and Central Africa (WACA), Middle East, Eastern and Southern Africa (MEESA) and the Asia Pacific (APAC) Regions and will provide technical support with respect to job evaluation, construction of salary scales and benefits, and implementation of Total Reward and communication to staff.
Dimensions of the Role
- The role will be a roving advisor and project manager to local countries, assisting Country Office Human Resources/People & Culture departments in evaluations and salary and benefits design and management.
- The role holder will be expected to lead small teams in country or to work alone on implementing the Total Reward project in countries.
- Assistance and support is provided by Country Office HR/P&C and by the Global Reward Team.
- Work with the Country Directors, Global Reward and HR Teams to agree on country specific timelines
- Design country project plans for job mapping and job evaluation, design of salary scales and benefits design
- Design implementation plans and communications with local HR teams
- Provide regular updates of the assignment to the team through reports.
Job Evaluation and Salaries (Phase 1):
- To facilitate and support the local People & Culture teams in WACA, MEESA and APAC to develop local capacity in Hay methodology
- Decide how decisions about the evaluation will be made
- Scope the evaluation and manage development of the evaluation work plan including logistics
- Contribute to evaluation guidelines to supplement Hay methodology, to take account of complexity, size of operation in country and align jobs to enable quality evaluations accordingly;
- Draft and update role descriptions in line with Plan standards and templates;
- Evaluate roles in all countries according to Hay methodology and additional guidelines;
- Construction of salary scales in all countries, using salary data from Birches and local salary survey providers;
- Contribute current Plan salary data to Birches and to other salary survey providers;
- Analysis ofcurrent salaries vs market data and new salary scales;
- Recommendations for salary adjustments to bring local salaries into line with salary scales and withinbudget guidelines;
- Communication of progress to staff, senior managers and regional leadership teams;
- Provide quality control/validation of the job evaluations undertaken to ensure consistency of evaluations across and within regions.
Benefits and Wellbeing (Phase 2):
- Assist with implementation of global benefits standards;
- Assist Global Reward Team with implementation of worldwide Employee Assistance Programme(s);
- Design new, and modify existing, employee benefit plans to meet Plan International global standards;
- Implement appropriate employee benefit plans in country;
- Negotiate fair terms with external benefit providers;
- Communicate with and educate staff on benefits.
Contract and Employment Conditions (Phase 3):
- Assist the Global Reward Team with design and standardisation of appropriate contracts for national staff, international staff, short term and long term secondees and other employment types.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young Peopleand Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Regional HRBPs and Country Directors, Finance
- Global Reward Team
- Country HR Teams
- Business Unit Managers and Directors
- Salary survey providers
- Korn Ferry Ltd (Hay methodology)
- Benefit providers and consultants
- Government departments, eg Tax authorities
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- In-depth demonstrable experience in job evaluation using the Hay methodology;
- Extensive experience in benchmarking products and services across Talent &Rewards.
- Knowledge and appreciation of reward practicesideally across multiple georgraphies.
- Experience in the design, implementation and communication of salary structures, employee benefits and related issues;
- Excellent negotiation, representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with diverse staff in challenging contexts
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in implementing job evaluation outcomes in non-profits;
- Knowledge of legal practices and application of tax rules related to reward structuring;
- Knowledge of French language, written and spoken.
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable:
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact:
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together:
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering:
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- Based remotely, initially, but visiting and working in various local HR teams and offices.
- Required to travel to operational locations on a regular basis.
Level of contact with children:
- Low level: infrequent interaction with children.
Application Closing Date
30th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (Word)
- Please respond to the requirements of the role in your cover letter.
- Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted.
- Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.