Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Regional Programming & Influencing
Type of Role: 12 month fixed term contract
Functional Area: Programming and Influencing
Job Family: Business and Professional Services
Reports To: Regional Director
Travel required: 60%
Effective Date: August 2022
- The Director of Programming & Influencing, provides strategic leadership to Plan International’s programming and influencing work in the West and Central Africa (WACA) region in line with our 2022-2027 Global Strategy All Girls Standing Strong Creating Global Change.
- The Director will ensure that all our programming and influencing initiatives are focused on increasing our impact, strengthening our legitimacy and improving our sustainability.
- The role will drive the realization of the global strategy in West and Central Africa region working with Country Offices, National Offices, Global Hub departments on high quality gender transformative programming and influencing interventions models, promoting innovation and design for scale approaches.
- The Director will ensure Plan International agenda is represented in relevant spaces across the region and work with Liaison Offices (UN, AU, EU…) to connect to local to the global and the global to the local.
- The role is responsible for leading the multidisciplinary regional team to provide high quality support to country offices and to carry out impactful regional initiatives in line with the WACA Regional Strategic Framework.
- The role will ensure that regional and country perspectives are represented and contribute to global initiatives and forums within Plan.
- This position will also lead the regional strategic partnerships, multi-country business development and fundraising agenda.
- A graduate Degree in a field of study relevant to rights-based international development
- Extensive years of progressive senior management and/ or development experience, with a strong background in programming and influencing for child rights and gender equality,
- Experience in gender transformative programming and in one or more of the Plan International Areas of Global Distinctiveness: education, protection, early childhood development, child/youth engagement and advocacy, SRHR, youth employment,
- High level program leadership experience in a complex and dispersed organisation; Experience and knowledge gained from working with Plan International would be an asset;
- Senior management experience in programme design, partnerships, quality assurance and learning;
- Strong working knowledge of program development and quality functions in a large, federated structure and their value for driving consistent, sustainable, scalable, high-quality project delivery at the country-level.
- Proven experience and effectiveness leading cross-functional teams and working in a matrixed structure,
- Experience leading advocacy and policy work with government systems in West & Central Africa
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender analysis, rights-based program approaches, and child safeguarding
- Proven experience in leading strategic planning, change management and program management processes;
- An appreciation and understanding of the issues concerning the NGO sector in West & Central Africa both development and humanitarian,
- Embraces leadership in the global south and has worked with social movements; understands social movements and power dynamics in countries in West & Central Africa
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines,
- Excellent listening, inter-personal, communication and networking skills,
- High level of self-awareness and willingness to take feedback for growth and self-development.
Application Closing Date
18th November, 2022.