Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursing Team Supervisor
Location: Jega, Kebbi
Contract Period: Definite (5 Months) with possibility of extension
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, and evaluate the activities concerning his/her field of action (Nursery, laboratory, midwifery, anaesthesiology) and the team associated, according to MSF values, policies and protocols and universal health standards, in order to warrant the quality and continuity of the health care and the development of the plan of action.
- Carry out the functions and tasks associated to his/her specialty as a nurse, midwife
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures, and supervise his/her team follow the same standards, in order to warrant the quality of the care and service in his/her specialty.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of his/her team (week’s schedule, annual leave, absences, etc.), evaluate their performance and define and ensure the needs for training of staff, in order to ensure the coverage of the human resources needs and maintain high standards of quality.
- Carry out and/or supervise the ( decentralized) pharmacy and medical equipment management (drugs orders, follow-up of the stock, storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, drugs consumption, etc.)in his or her department, in order to satisfy the needs of material with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring that cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols.
- Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service
- Carry-out and/or coordinate administrative (exit-paper, transfer-paper, etc.), information and data collection (patient files, forms, statistics, etc.) tasks, and elaborate regular reporting, in order to have updated and reliable information about the day-to-day activity in the project, output/ outcome and support decision-taking.
- Give feedback/ reports to medical focal point.
Context Specific Accountabilities:
- Check whether the patient files are filled in correctly (e.g. documentation of feedings, weight graphs, documentation of important information in the nurse’s notes, etc.).
- Follow up of the stock of blank patient file documents (e.g. doctor’s notes, nurse’s notes, PEWS, Resomal sheet, SDTM sheet, dietary prescription, discharge forms, etc.). Inform the Nurse Activity Manager in a timely manner when the quantities become low, so that photocopies can be made before ruptures occur
- Work in rotation between ITFC, ATFC and ICCM as nurse team supervisor as will be determined by managers
- Assist the nurses/nurse team leaders in bedside coaching and training of the nurses, nurse aids and nutrition assistants. Report the training needs to the Nurse Activity Manager in order to create and organize teaching tools and trainings together.
- Supervise the quality of nursing care provided: e.g. preparation and administration of medication, measuring and interpretation of vital signs, application of the medical protocols, clinical follow-up, re-hydration, and early detection of the medical complications.
- Make sure feeding sessions are correctly done, well documented and ensure the participation of all staff.
- Supervise the anthropometric follow-up: correct measurement and documentation of the weight, height, MUAC and edema.
- Assist in the morning ward round to identify problems that should be attended to immediately.
- Check whether the nurses, nurse aids and nutrition assistants understand the medical instructions to be performed (e.g. calculation of drug doses, calculation of infusion rate, steps in case of deterioration of the patient, changes in the medical and nutritional treatment, etc.).
- Ensure a good and complete handover between the different shifts
- Assist the nurse team leader in supervision of the hygiene of the units and the equipment. Instruct the responsible person if needed.
- Supervise the respect of the standard precautions and additional precautions by all staff members.
- Do or support the nurse team leader with the inventory of the pharmacies in each unit and with the composition of the pharmacy order. Report discrepancies in consumption to the Nursing Activity Manager.
- Assist the nurses/nurse team leaders in the follow up of the medical equipment in the ITFC departments: cleaning, maintenance, daily inventory.
- Perform nursing care if necessary (e.g. in case of heavy workload, in case of doubt or problem for any staff).
- Overall responsible for correct waste segregation and disposal as per MSF protocol, constantly monitoring and reminding team leaders and staff of the importance.
- Make sure all staff in ITFC knows their tasks and how to perform in a satisfactory way.
- Ensure that the dignity and confidentiality of the patients and the caretakers is respected.
- Ensure that comprehensible health education sessions are given for all caretakers, performed by the health promoters and the medical staff.
- Make sure that communication between the mental health counselor and other medical staff is clear and that mental health support is given to patients/caretakers needing it.
- Make sure that attention is paid to the psychosocial stimulation of the patients (HP, nurses, nurse aids, nutrition assistants).
Teamwork and Cooperation:
- Ensure a good working relationship between all the staff in all the departments.
- Assess and solve problems occurring between the patients and the staff.
- Assess and solve problems occurring between staff, in collaboration with the Nursing Activity Manager
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Education Speciality (Nurse, Midwifery ). Bachelor of Nursing Science is Essential (BNSC)
- Essential – 2 years of previous experience Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable.
- English – essential.
- Hausa and Fulfulde are desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Stress management
- Behavioural flexibility.
Application Closing Date
31st July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Applications must be in English and include:
- Resume and Cover Letter.
- Copy of relevant certificate.
- Subject: “Application for Nursing Team Supervisor”
- Dual Employment is considered as a gross misconduct, as per MSF Belgium Internal Regulations (IR) and hence not acceptable.
- Applications should be sent through the indicated channel (online application form) containing the right subject, meeting all requirements, otherwise application will not be entertained.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next recruitment steps.
- MSF reserves the right to cancel any step or whole of the process at any stage of recruitment.
- The vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria.