Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor (ITFC & Nutrition Focal Point)
Location: MSF OCA, Sokoto
Employment Type: Definite Contract (6 months)
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection, and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Ensure, and follow up on these specific responsibilities: Supervision of patient management at the In-patient Therapeutic Feeding Centre (ITFC) in Sokoto Specialist Hospital in collaboration with MoH MDs, Matron, Nurses, NUT, and the MSF team, using MSF guidelines, including patient immunization.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills for the prevention and treatment of complications of Severe Acute Malnutrition and Moderate Acute Malnutrition.
- Supervise in-patient and out-patient consultations, and ensure the prescription of necessary treatment while respecting MSF protocols and guidelines.
- Ensure daily ward rounds for patient assessments and management.
- Collaborate with the MoH team to achieve program objectives, ensuring 24-hour quality nutrition care for all admitted SAM patients.
- Participate in nutrition assessment as required and manage patient’s nutritional and health needs.
- Build the capacity of the medical team through training, on-the-job coaching, support, and supervision.
- Evaluate if the meal plans have a positive effect on’ patients’ Health.
- Need to improve referral from Specialist Hospital paediatric OPD, from ITFC to Paediatric IPD and from CMAMs/ATFCs to ITFC. Also to review our referrals from ITFC to CMAMs/ATFCs.
- Maintain and follow the IPC Protocols and ensure that universal precautions are followed by all medical staff.
- Support Education and counselling of patients and families on nutritional issues, either individually or in groups
- Ensure patient data are collected and entered accurately and in a timely manner and, in collaboration with the Medical Data supervisor, ensure its completeness, and report any discrepancies to the Line manager.
- Ensure timely daily, weekly, and Monthly updates on patients’ data, including mortality.
- Participate in data presentation for the annual plan and Mid-year review.
- Prepare Monthly medical report according to the epi calendar and submit to the MTL within the timeline.
- Coordinate Mortality review meetings and ensure timely mortality summaries are sent to the MTL.
- Ensure medical incidence reports are prepared and submitted promptly.
- Daily reporting to Line manager with accurate patient statistics.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
Educational Qualification and Experience:
- Medical Doctor qualification (MBBS), Diploma in Tropical Medicine an added advantage.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work. Minimum one (1) year of experience in any Nutritional Programme. ITFC experience is an asset.
- Mission language is essential. Fluency in Hausa is an added advantage
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioral Flexibility Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management, People Management.
Application Closing Date
25th July, 2022 (5:00pm)
How to Apply
Intersted and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization