Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Media Mapping Consultant
Reference Number: PD-ABU-01912-001
Locations: Abuja, Borno, Yobe, Kano and Kebbi
Project Name: USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance
Sector: Health and Nutrition, WASH
Activity Type: Engagement of National Consultant (open to Individual or Corporate entities)
Rationale for the Project:
- Action Against Hunger is a leading global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger in over 40 countries including Nigeria.
- Through our interventions in health and nutrition, water and sanitation, food security and livelihoods, and social protection programs, we save the lives of malnourished children.
- We ensure everyone can access clean water, food, training and healthcare. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger.
- The capacity of traditional and new media stakeholders in accurately representing humanitarian actions conducted for vulnerable populations remains essential in the delivery and uptake of these lifesaving interventions different media opportunities including digital communications to highlight and further engage with stakeholders relevant to influencing policies that necessitate the good of vulnerable populations in Nigeria.
- The objective of this consultancy is to conduct specific mapping of print media in the states; active State and national radio and television houses and agencies (public and private) who reflect and promote Action Against Hunger’s humanitarian values in regions of intervention as well as other potential expansion areas subject to funding.
- The proposed consultancy also aims at presenting an advocacy/media structure and context sensitive activities for AAH Groundwater programming.
- In addition, the proposed consultancy would engage with information desks, recognized at various state and federal government MGAs relevant to AAH’s pillars of implementation.
- Outcomes of this consultancy is expected to inform the Action Against Hunger’s understanding of the media landscape, inform media engagement and communication strategy and enrich its overall Programme and specifically groundwater project implementation mechanism.
- This consultancy will assist the Advocacy and Communications unit of the mission to identify and target media partners relevant to our humanitarian and development programs and projects.
Geographical Scope Covered by the Analysis:
- The geographical scope of this consultancy are Borno, Yobe, Kano, Kebbi States and Abuja – Nigeria.
Purpose and Objectives of the Study
Specific objectives include, but are not limited to:
- Entrance meeting with the communications unit
- Desk research on traditional (Radio, TV, Print) and digital (Bloggers, Influencers) working and active in Northeast, northwest and north central reporting on the humanitarian crisis and response
- Conduct extensive review and mapping within selected region. This includes but not limited to: audience demography, the listening habits of the audience including prime times, frequency, media ratings, local ratings, preferred format and length for radio programs, and preferred language of broadcast. Identify media outlets
- Profile TV and Radio agencies indicating reach and airing cost, how the number of reach is being estimated. Also providing an online link for broadcast
- Consult and provide Action Against Hunger with a report containing the list of prospective TV and radio outlets suitable to promote Humanitarian actions.
- Present Specific Groundwater media community C4D guides, that is context specific to North East Nigeria.
Profile of the Consultant (Qualification and Experience)
To be eligible to apply for this role the consultant/firm must meet these criteria:
- If it is a consultancy firm, must have been registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) and Tax Regulatory Agency (Tax Clearance) (for corporate consultancy firm).
- Evidence of CAC and Tax Clearance for a corporate firm
- The Lead consultant must hold a Degree in a relevant field: Communication, Journalism, Media studies, Fine Arts, English Language, or any Technical Professional trainings.
- Demonstrate Firm’s experience in undertaking similar assignments by use of samples (YouTube links) of successfully and recently completed work.
- Prove of human capacity (team members) to work with as technical staff.
- Proposed consultant must have good knowledge of multicultural aspects in the North Nigeria region, cultural nuances, gender and crosscutting issues.
- The Consultant must possess excellent communication skills-fluency in oral and written English
- Individuals/Firm must have excellent technical capacities to ensure high quality etc.
- Clear articulation of capacity and skills, and innovative approaches to carry out the assignment; as well as ·a clear work plan and articulation of expected methodologies and outputs within the tight timeframe.
- Ability to work under strict time limits and adhering to WHO and specific country MOH Covid- 19 protocols and guidelines.
Application Closing Date
28th April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified consultants should send their Expression of Interest to: [email protected] using “PD-ABU-01912-001_ Media Mapping Consultancy Service” as the subject of the email in order to receive the full ToR.
- Proposal without request of the full ToR will not be accepted.
- The sending of full ToR will commence from April 18th 2022 until the deadline of the submissions to all expressions of interest from prospective consultants.