US Embassy – The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Engineer – All Interested Candidates (Mechanical Engineer)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-122RA
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 1105 11
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-11
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Temporary
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed 5 years subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required.
- Working under the Construction Manager/Project Director of the Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO) team, the Mechanical Engineer is responsible for overseeing and inspecting all work elements of the construction site, reviewing shop drawings and other construction plans, developing change orders and cost estimates for the New Consulate Compound (NCC) Project.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- University Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in mechanical engineering related to building construction and renovation on large scale residential or commercial development projects, of which, two years of experience in construction project management and oversight is required.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Must have comprehensive understanding of DOS/OBO construction regulations and guidelines, OBO commissioning and construction guidebook.
- Knowledge of local building and construction codes, local safety and security rules is required.
- Must be familiar with the local government structure and jurisdictions and the key personnel in order to facilitate authorization and related engagement.
- Must have professional knowledge in mechanical design calculations and criteria, preparation of engineering drawings and specifications.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency in reading/writing/speaking of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) and Internet Research is required.
- Professional skills and experience in using construction management software such as Microsoft Project and Primavera is required.
- Ability to create mechanical engineering cost estimates and review mechanical plan for code compliance is required.
- Ability to operate documenting and measuring equipment such as cameras, infrared thermometers, flow meters, calipers and measuring tools is required.
- Incumbent must be able to work independently.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Benefits and Other Info
Salary: USD58,767 Annually.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interestes and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement.
- Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- University Degree
- NYSC Certificate.
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Passport copy
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.