The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), on behalf of HarvestPlus, seeks suitable
Nigerians for the position below at its country office in Abuja:
Job Title: Market System / Value Chain Advisor
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Technically coordinate, implement, and monitor biofortified crops value chains.
- Support HarvestPlus partners and stakeholders in the implementation of projects and regular project reporting.
- Develop appropriate business models and plans for the implementation and delivery of biofortified crops value chains.
- Specifically work with seed companies to ensure production, distribution, and marketing of biofortified seeds.
- Work with seed companies and agro dealers to ensure access to seeds at state and LGA levels.
- Support seed value chains with demand creation exercises and demos to stimulate demand for biofortified crops.
- Facilitate contractual relationship between producers and aggregators.
- Integrate commodity brokers into the various value chains to support marketing of biofortified produce at the various commodity markets/hubs.
- Coordinate and network with relevant stakeholders/actors operating in the various biofortified value chains.
- Have experience in integration of stakeholders into value chains and be knowledgeable in identifying constraints and strengthening of weak linkages in value chains.
- Provide technical leadership for the implementation of activities using a market systems development approach.
- Build capacity of technical partners and stakeholders to foster market system upgrading.
- Implement diagnostics and assessments to evaluate market opportunities, identify partners, and design project partnerships and activities.
- Provide thought advice for the project implementing area private sector businesses, and other stakeholders in improving the market system.
- Work closely with the field team to strategize and implement activities aligned with the annual HarvestPlus project targets and be experienced in implementing value chain projects in Northern Nigeria.
- Implement value chains in crisis areas and work closely in collaboration with other members of HarvestPlus team.
- Prepare and implement operational plans and budgets for effective engagements with the development, private and public sector.
- Develop and implement technical, organizational and business advisory services and support to the creation of enabling environment.
- Work closely with the state and federal ministries of agriculture to integrate biofortification into their yearly programs.
- Develop and implement advisory services models that will deliver appropriate value chainwide technical support.
- Have sound knowledge of agricultural extension skills and smallholder capacity building and a focus of inclusive business models.
- Design and support the implementation of specific studies and request for proposals.
- Country specific contributions to monitoring, reporting to monthly, biannual and annual progress reports and evaluation of program activities.
- Prepare, moderate, document meetings and workshops and the organization of field trips as requested.
- Organize and implement field trainings and workshops.
- Coordinate the work of consultants/resource persons;
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in Agricultural Agriculture (Agronomy), Agriculture Extension, Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics and Extension, Business Administration, or related field with a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in food business, marketing and technical function or similar role in a well-structured environment or donor-funded organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have additional training in the areas of value chain approach, cooperatives / social entrepreneurship, banking and finance, non-governmental organization (NGO) administration, business development services, policy formulation and advocacy ICT will be an advantage.
- Be experience in implementing nutrition-sensitive value chains
- Be experienced in agro-industries or development organization to facilitate and promote private sector agricultural development initiatives.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor and professional colleague.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.