Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. Operating in Nigeria since 2008, Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments and has been providing critical relief aid, empowering communities to prevent and respond to violence, inclusive economic development, recovery from crisis, building better lives and transforming their communities for good.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Local Consultant
Locations: Abuja (FCT), Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Kogi and Plateau
Employment Type: Contract
Reports directly to: Chief of Party, CIPP
- Mercy Corps is implementing the Community Initiatives to Promote Peace (CIPP) program. CIPP is a five-year project funded by USAID and implemented by Mercy Corps in partnership with Pastoral Resolve (PARE), Interfaith Mediation Centre (IMC), Savannah Centre for Diplomacy Democracy and Development (SCDDD), African Radio Drama Association (ARDA) and Social Justice and Human Development for Peace Initiative (JDPC) .
- The program is mitigating violent conflict in at-risk communities in six states of Nigeria’s Northwest (Kaduna, Kano, and Katsina States) and North Central (Kogi, Benue and Plateau States) through an integrated, multifaceted program that:
- Empowers communities to prevent and respond to violence and violent extremism by strengthening key skills and relationships, and
- Fosters an enabling environment for peace through policy advocacy, media outreach, and linkages to development programs.
- CIPP is deliberate in its effort to implement a project whose outcomes will live past the duration of the project and thus sustain the gains of peace in areas of implementation.
- We seek a highly motivated individual/team who believes deeply in Mercy Corps’ organizational mission and who can lead the team in conducting CLA sessions that will inform the development of a sustainability plan for CIPP Project.
- The development process will include initial review of the project documents, meeting key team members, organizing workshop with staff and key stakeholders.
Consultancy Key Activities
- Desktop and Project Documents Review
- Consultations with key team members
- Organize workshop with selected CIPP staff
- Organize CLA workshop with Key Stakeholders
- Consultations with individual stakeholders
- Production of reports
- Detailed Activity workplan
- Facilitation Guide for Staff, key stakeholders’ workshops
- One workshop for staff in Abuja
- Two CLA workshops in North Central (one for key government officials and another for key participants)
- Two CLA workshops in North West (one for key government officials-especially civil servants-and another for key participants)
- Meetings with key informants (estimated to be around 10)
- Draft Reports:
- Main CLA report
- CIPP Sustainability Plan (max 7 pages)
- Main CLA Report
- CIPP Sustainability Plan (Max 7 pages)
Mercy Corps Responsibilities
- Organize logistics for consultants’ accommodation
- Mobilization of participants/stakeholders
- Organize all logistics associated with workshops/meetings
- Review/approve workshops guide
- Review Draft Reports
- Approve final reports
Basic knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Lead Consultant: Master’s Degree in Peace and Conflict Studies, Development studies, Business Management or related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least 5 years’ experience in facilitating workshops engaging men, women and youth groups engaged in conflict mitigation and peacebuilding
- Experience in development of sustainability plans for Non and or For profit organizations
- Understanding of the context/strong working knowledge of CIPP implementing states in the Northwest and North Central regions, Nigeria
- Languages: Ability to speak and write fluent English, Languages spoken in North Central and North West Nigeria and understanding of local context extremely vital
- Timeframe / Schedule: Consultancy is expected to be completed within 23 working days.
- Proposed Start date: June 1 2022 to July 30 2022
- Works closely with: CIPP Senior M&E Manager, Mercy Corps Strategic Learning Manager, CIPP Senior Gender and Inclusion Officer and CIPP Program Manager
- Location: The consultancy will require travel to Abuja, Plateau, and Kano states
- Mercy Corps will make payment based on agreed schedule through bank transfer. Mercy Corps will deduct WHT in line with government regulations.
Application Closing Date
16th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send thier CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using “Local Consultancy for CIPP” as the subject of the email.