United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) is one of Africa’s leading financial institutions, with operations in 19 African countries and 3 global financial centres: London, Paris and New York. From a single country organisation founded in 1949 in Nigeria UBA has grown to become a pan-African provider of financial services with over 11 million customers, through close to 1000 business offices and touch points globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Officer
Location: Lagos (Head Office)
Employment Type: Permanent
- Managing the litigation portfolio of the Bank.
- Prompt and strategic review and assessment of litigation portfolio to determine cases, which should be settled amicably.
- Review and assessment of the Bank’s defence in matters in litigation and recommendation on settlement in respect of cases in which the Bank has no defence.
- Proper monitoring of cases in court to ensure that the Bank’s interests are adequately protected.
- Aggressive pursuit of recovery matters under the Litigation Recovery portfolio to ensure timely recovery of the Bank’s debts.
- Effective prosecution of fraud cases to ensure judicially logical conclusions to serve as a deterrent to others.
- Compile a list of fresh actions instituted against the Bank on monthly basis to be included in the schedule pending cases.
- Review Judgments entered against the Bank in order to determine whether to submit to judgment or whether there are sufficient grounds on which to sustain an appeal.
- Review subpoenas served on the Bank and advise Branch or Division on appropriate steps to take with respect to either Subpoena Ad Testificandu or Subpoena Duces Tecum.
- Review miscellaneous interlocutory and injunctive orders against the Bank and advise Business offices on steps to be taken.
- Review garnishee order nisi [interim orders], determine the implications of the order for the Bank and give necessary instructions to branches/solicitors (if need be).
- Appraise the performance of external solicitors and recommend to management the solicitors to be retained or delisted.
- Interfaces with external auditors of the Bank during audit, provide them with the schedule of pending litigations and respond to their queries
- Interfaces with CBN and NDIC during an audit, provide them with the schedule of pending litigation, and selected case files, and respond to their queries.
- Prepare a schedule of contingent liabilities for Financial Control which will be used for audit.
- Represent the Bank and participate in the mediation sessions at the Lagos and Abuja Multi-Door courthouses
- Refer deserving matters to Lagos Multi-Door courthouse for mediation and negotiation.
- Participates in ADR procedures to ensure resolution of deserving matters without recourse to litigation.
- Recommendation to management on possible terms of settlement and engage in negotiating a settlement in terms most favourable to the Bank.
- Review of court processes proposed to be filed by our solicitors to ensure that the Bank is adequately protected.
- Visit Police Stations/other law enforcement agencies to secure the release of staff on bail or to assist staff in making extra-judicial statements to the relevant agencies
- Participate in sector meetings and activities as required.
- Perform other functions delegated by the Unit Head or Divisional Head.
- Minimum of First Degree in Law.
- LL. B (Bachelor of Laws).
- Professional qualification (an advantage).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience (in Litigation/legal practice or financial services institution).
- Our ideal candidate must have experience in Litigation, legal practice or financial service institutions.
- Must be analytical with effective communication skills, have good alternative dispute resolution skills and brief writing skills.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Sound knowledge of the law
- Knowledge of the Civil Procedure Rules of the High Courts of the various states
- Negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Alternative dispute resolution skills
- Effective communication skills
- Good interpersonal relationship
- Research and Analytical Skills
- Brief writing skills
What We Expect From You:
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Highly organised, proactive, ability to work independently and take ownership of tasks assigned.
- Team player with the ability to work under pressure and ability to work with a wide variety of people and maintain an excellent business relationship.
- High sense of confidentiality and discreteness.
What You Should Expect From Us:
- Our corporate culture is defined by our core values. We do not just train our people to be the best in the job, we also offer encouragement, recognition, and rewards.
- Whatever level you are at in your career, we offer plenty of opportunities and support to build a rewarding career at UBA.
- Here in UBA, our employees are our greatest assets and so we built a recognition and reward system that boosts productivity and enhances staff retention, instituting a culture of meritocracy.
Application Closing Date
12th July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online