United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) is one of Africa’s leading financial institutions, with operations in 19 African countries and 3 global financial centres: London, Paris and New York. From a single country organisation founded in 1949 in Nigeria UBA has grown to become a pan-African provider of financial services with over 11 million customers, through close to 1000 business offices and touch points globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Officer
- Provide effective legal support and advisory services to the subsidiaries and ensure excellent customer experience.
- Review legal agreements, provide opinion and quality advice in line with the local laws and generally ensure the bank’s interest is protected
- Prompt and strategic review and assessment of litigation portfolio to ensure that the Bank is adequately protected.
- Review and assessment of the Bank’s defense in matters in litigation and recommendation on settlement in respect of cases in which the Bank has no defense
- Effective prosecution of fraud cases to ensure judicially logical conclusions to serve as deterrent to others.
- Compile list of fresh actions instituted against the Bank on monthly basis to be included to the schedule pending cases.
- Review interlocutory injunctive order and Judgments entered against the Bank in order to determine whether to submit to judgment or whether there are sufficient grounds on which to sustain an appeal
- Represent the Bank and participate in the mediation sessions and engage in negotiating settlement in terms most favorable to the Bank
- Review contracts, facility and security documentation to ensure that the Bank is adequately secured
- Provide effective legal support and advisory services to the subsidiaries and ensure excellent customer experience
- Liaise with subsidiary Heads of Legal and solicitors on matters in litigation and respond to requests from subsidiaries on such matters.
- Ensure implementation of structured changes to initiatives affecting the subsidiaries
- Perform other functions delegated by the Unit Head or Divisional Head
- Minimum education level – Bachelor’s degree in law. Must be a registered lawyer under the legal association of the country.
- Minimum experience – 7years post call experience in Legal Advisory & Company Secretarial/Governance preferably in a financial institution.
- Work experience in/with relevant regulatory bodies will be an added advantage.
- The ideal candidate must have good knowledge of the Civil Law/OHADA Business Law systems in African Francophone and Anglophone countries.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Good knowledge of the Civil Law/OHADA Business Law systems in African Francophone and Anglophone countries.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Corporate Governance best practice.
- Good knowledge of Financial Sector laws/regulations and operations.
- Good understanding of French and English Languages.
- Excellent communication Skills (written and oral)
- Attention to details
- Good interpersonal skills and adaptability to different cultures
- Alternative dispute resolution skills
- Research and Analytical Skills
- Brief writing skills
What we expect from you:
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Highly organised, proactive, ability to work independently and take ownership of tasks assigned.
- Team player with ability to work under pressure and ability to work with a wide variety of people and maintain excellent business relationship.
- High sense of confidentiality and discreteness.
What you should expect from us:
- Our corporate culture is defined by our core values. We do not just train our people to be the best in the job, we also offer encouragement, recognition, and rewards.
- Whatever level you are at in your career, we offer plenty of opportunities and support to build a rewarding career at UBA.
- Here in UBA, our employees are our greatest assets and so we built a recognition and reward system that boosts productivity and enhances staff retention, instituting a culture of meritocracy.
Application Closing Date
15th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online