World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infectious Hazard Management (IHM) Officer
Job ID: 2203892
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two years
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme is to help countries, and to coordinate international action to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
- The unit of Infectious Hazards Management is responsible for supporting countries for prevention and control of high threat diseases of both epidemic and pandemic potential through development and dissemination of evidence-based strategies, policies, tools,norms and standards to manage infectious disease hazards
Description of Duties
- Under the supervision and guidance of the WHE Team Lead, the incumbent supports the prevention and control of diseases with a high threat of pandemic and epidemic potential through coordination of prediction, outbreak investigation, characterization of infectious diseases and/or risks, and implementation of evidence-based strategies to manage outbreaks and risks.
- More specifically, the incumbent will: Lead and coordinate the work within the Infectious Hazards Management (IHM) team with particular emphasis on prevention and control of infectious hazards and threats, specific preparedness and readiness measures necessary to mitigate and prevent these threats.
- Ensure development, coordination and implementation of a strategic programme to respond and control threats with potential of country/regional/global spread Develop the technical guidelines and preparedness plan in collaboration with other disease programs and the preparedness groups in WHE and foster research for new tools and approaches to prevent and control infectious hazards with pandemic potential.
- Provide the IHM contribution to the surveillance and risk analysis and risk communication of infectious hazards with pandemic potential in close collaboration with the risk assessment and information group and other groups in WHE.
- Develop new policies, concepts, tools and strategies and their implementation in High Threat Pathogens.
- Plan, manage and monitor the activities of the team so that activities reflect the administrative and budgetary standards, guidelines, priorities and directions of WHE/IHM Develop work plans and performance indicators, monitor, identify gaps and coordinate the work of the team and its interaction with other teams so that the work is technically excellent, effectively and efficiently conducted, and completed to a high standard.
- Lead and coordinate the work on developing guidelines for surveillance, field investigation, detection and response to the transmission of high threat pathogens in community and healthcare settings;
- Collect timely data on evolving risk as well as to guide appropriate response to prevent spread;
- Build partnerships with the various counterparts and international partners to implement appropriate interventions, including strategic planning, tactical and project planning, facilitation, instruction, and information and documentation development.
- Proactively flag to the supervisor of situations which might pose a threat to WHO or its reputation and propose solutions to address the problems. Represent the Unit at international meetings and conferences, when required.Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: University Degree in Medicine with a Master’s Degree in Public Health.
- Desirable: Specialized training in field epidemiology, surveillance and outbreak investigation.
- Essential: At least 7 years of combined national and international level experience in public health specially in the control and prevention of infectious diseases. Proven experience inmanaging finances, budgets and staff and clear proof of responsibility for management of work plan activities.
- Desirable: Proven primary responsibility for managing cross-cutting initiatives involving different departments or organizational entities in a multinational context such as the UN, WHO or similar. Proven primary responsibility in developing strategies in prevention and control of infectious diseases
- Expert level knowledge of infectious diseases, particularly in region specific infectious hazards and threats, specific public health preparedness measures for its control.
- Solid managerial skills including proven ability to move from design of a strategic concept, to its operational implementation, to its successful completion, and sound knowledge of planning, human resources, budgeting and financing aspects of management.
- Proven understanding of the management of acute and urgent public health responses,including infectious disease outbreaks in humanitarian emergencies. Demonstrate deffectiveness in building sustained partnerships and working with others in international settings.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 75,602 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 3194 per month for the duty station indicated above.
- Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
Application Closing Date
6th May, 2022 at 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.