Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Mine Action Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervised By: Humanitarian Mine Action Team Leader
Reporting to: Humanitarian Mine Action Team Leader
Employment Period: 7 Months
Type of Contract: (Expat/National/Trainee): National
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its safety unit, has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- Execution of the NTS and EORE tasks assigned by the Team Leader and complying with approved DRC safety rules /protocols and the HDP sector’s technical SOPs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the team leader in the identification of areas for NTS processes.
- Assist the team leader and the HMA manager in the planning of NTS & EORE tasks when required.
- Identify and mobilize local targeted communities for NTS tasks base on reported suspected hazardous areas.
- Implement NTS & EORE processes in compliance with relevant SOPs and guidelines, including desk research, individual interviews, focus group discussions, key stakeholder’s interviews, and reporting
- Provide basic risk education to affected communities and recommend more advanced risk education intervention by the Risk Education team whenever needed.
- Conduct explosive ordnance risk education activities and sessions as required.
- Deliver EORE training alongside other DRC/HDP activities in the communities, ensuring close coordination, collaboration, and programmatic synergies.
- Be familiar with and follow all safety SOPs in DRC Nigeria and communicate any change on the security situation to the Team Leader and DRC Safety unit.
- Establish and maintain working relations with local authorities and communities.
- Carry out all other responsibilities included in the approved NTS and EORE SOPs.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- University degree or equivalent in social science or any other relevant field.
- Certificate/Accreditation of participation in a Non-Technical Survey Training by recognized INGO.
- Certificate/Accreditation of participation in a EORE (or similar) Training by recognized INGO.
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural, multi-sector team environment especially North East Nigeria
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to gather information using new technologies and Apps.
- Previous experience in conducting interviews and surveys.
- At least 3 years of proven previous experience in NTS and EORE.
- Fluency in English and Hausa (and/or Kanuri)
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent communicational skills.
- Excellent ability to work in a team.
- Good Knowledge of local communities in Borno State.
- Excellent Computer skills.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Application Closing Date
7th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- However, all applicants shall take into consideration that DRC cannot offer an international work contract to a citizen of the country of assignment (in this specific case, Nigeria)
- Applications submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline