Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting suitable candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Job ID: 220001RQ
Employment Type: Full-time
- Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Reports to HR & Administration Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: HR Assistant
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Maintain Updated Personnel files for all staff as well as the staff database
- To provide Admin support to Line Manager to arrange training opportunities for staff
- Ensure that all changes to SC payroll is prepared/updated and ensure that these changes are checked and signed off by HRAM before sending to the Country Office for signing
- Preparation of monthly department report
- Prepare terminal benefit of exiting staff and share with Line Manager for approval
- Participate in the review and improvement of local partners process and structure.
Human Resource Management:
- Assist HR & Admin Manager in the development of annual needs for development / training through the formal performance review process
- Participate in the organisation of trainings as a facilitator.
- Support in researching training opportunities as prioritised by the Humanitarian Management Team or as requested by Supervisor.
- Manage exit process of staff
- Volunteers – Manage the Volunteers database, their training and performance management system.
- Under the supervision of the HRAM, lead in the recruitment of all national positions.
- Lead in the recruitment of Volunteers
- Liaise with Hiring Manager on recruitment
- Ensure recruitment is done in line with SCI guidelines and key policy like child safeguarding is upheld during recruitment
- Coordinate and assist in interviewing / recruitment processes:
- Long/Short-listing of candidates
- Assist as part of a panel in interviewing candidates
- Ensure reference checks, criminal record check and all vetting are done in line with SCI guideline for candidate
- Ensure recruitment documents are obtained and arranged in line with SCI guideline for new recruitment
- Prepare contracts and offer letters
- Respond to enquiry of candidates on recruitment
- Inform Hiring Managers of new staff coming on board
- Develop standard induction pack in line with SCI guideline for new staff
- Create and share with Hiring Managers induction schedule for new staff
Staff Health and Welfare:
- Under the supervision of Line Manager, lead the staff welfare programmes
- Liaise with the CO to register staff with Health Management Organisations (HMO)
- Maintain records of all incident reports
- Provide relevant information necessary for the management of the combined accident and employee compensation and group life insurance cover for staff
- Other – Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice):
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Skills and Experience
- BSc / HND in Industrial Relations, Personnel Management, Business Administration or relevant Social Sciences
- Minimum of 3 years post NYSC progressive experience in HR Generalist role
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- Sound knowledge of HR practices, procedures and administrative systems
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with proven administrative skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively in a constantly changing environment, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Strong coordination and time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathise with staff and beneficiaries
- Proven capacity of management, leadership and team work
- Strong teamwork skills with the ability to both support colleagues and request support as and when required
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
- Willingness to travel to the field for work
- Computer literate at high level
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, vision and values
- Have working knowledge of the local language
- Work experience in an NGO
- Masters / MBA
- Knowledge of HR analytics
- Knowledge of the use of Orale and Taleo
Application Closing Date
18th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online