The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Human Resource Officer
Requisition ID: 1045
Locations: Rabat – Morocco, Bamako – Mali & Khartoum – Sudan
Reports to: Deputy Director
Directorate / Department: African Migration Observatory/Center/ HHS, Rabat, Kingdom of Morocco, African Centre for the Study and Research on Migration, Bamako, Mali & Continental Operational Centre in Khartoum, Sudan
Division: Office of the Deputy Director
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Purpose of Job
- To perform human resource management functions relating to staff recruitment, placement, contract, performance and benefits management, employee relations and overall staff administration, ensuring compliance with AU Staff Rules and Regulations and AU Administrative Policies.
- Under direct supervision of the Deputy Director and with delegated authority of the Human Resource Management Division at the AU Headquarters, the Human Resources Officer will have the following responsibilities pertaining to the support of all categories of staff will perform the following duties:
- Provide advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters;
- Contribute to the development of, advise on and implement policies relating to the effective management of human resources within the Center
- Administer and provide advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules;
- Coordinate Human Resources Services such as recruitment, contract management of local and international staff, performance management, skills development, leave management and the management of staff conduct and behavior;
- Handle tasks related to administration of staff remuneration, benefits and entitlements and makes the required liaison with the respective offices.
- Handles human resource planning and implementation of same in planning and coordinating recruitment activities. Takes appropriate action in issues related to staffing issues of the Centers
- Identify vacant positions, prepare draft vacancy announcements and promptly process applications for employment, to facilitate recruitment of new staff;
- Make appropriate arrangements for the short listing and interviews/examinations of applicants;
- Provide the necessary information for the preparation of the establishment list and other personnel data so that decisions taken are based on accurate and up-to-date information;
- Assist in the planning of staff movement to ensure that staff members serve in acceptable and relevant environments;
- Prepare contracts for staff members and employees of the Observatory/Center Center in accordance with the existing Rules and Regulations and decisions of the competent authorities;
- Provides induction, orientation and briefing to new staff members;
- Act as focal person in the provision of staff welfare (e.g. insurance, coordinating arrangement of medical services, counselling services and others).
- Monitors and ensures the implementation of human resources policies, practices and procedures in field missions
- Develops deep understanding of the AU Staff Rules and Regulations as well as other administrative instructions and provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules.
- Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
- Prepares reports and participates and/or leads special human resources projects.
- Provides advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements.
- Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules.
- Assists in preparing policy papers, position papers and briefing notes on various issues related to human resources.
- Supervises the local implementation of the performance management system i.e. ensures the development of individual work plans and periodic evaluation of performance, production and timely submission
- Follows up the contract expiry and renewal schedule of staff and coordinate the renewal of same
- Administers and provides advice on salary and related benefits and entitlements;
- Produces monthly payroll information for implementation of payroll changes.
- Identifies and analyzes staff development and career support needs and assists with the design of programmes to meet identified needs;
- Administers the leave management system
- Follows upon the inclusion of staff under the staff insurance scheme and administration of same through liaison with the Benefits Unit within the AUC Headquarters or directly with the respective insurance company.
- Handle grievance and staff discipline matters and ensure the proper implementation of procedures and processes in handling same;
- Maintains the human resources filing system;
- Perform any other duties as directed by supervisor(s).
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Management or any other relevant field in Social Sciences with 3 years relevant work experience in human resources management, preferably in an International Organization or similar organization.
- A combined experience within public, non-governmental, multilateral, regional and international institutions will be an added advantage
- A Master’s Degree with two (2) years relevant work experience is also acceptable.
- Higher qualification in any of the above areas of study will be an added advantage.
- A professional qualification/certification in Human Resources Management will be an added advantage.
- Experience in handling a stand-alone HR role is required
- Membership of a recognized professional HR body or additional academic qualification in a relevant area of study (see above) is an added advantage.
Candidates are expected to:
- Have knowledge of and deep understanding of the HR standard practices, rules, regulations, procedures and technicalities
- Very good strategic insight to enable the Observatory/Center set up HR plans and actions targeted towards its strategic direction and goals
- Ability to undertake studies and analyse cases with good ability to make feasible recommendations in accordance with the relevant procedures and rules;
- Experience in recruitment activities, reviewing terms of reference, skill and requirement sets, interviewing and selection
- Very good knowledge of contract management and administration
- Excellent capacity to work on office computer applications, well versed in the use of the Internet, MS Power Point, MS Excel and MS Word. Knowledge on other computer office applications and strong practical knowledge/experience in using SAP HR Module is essential.
- Excellent capacity to communicate effectively oral and written communication skills. Very good drafting reporting skills.
- Readiness to share information and knowledge at all times, drive for results and continuous improvement;
- Good facilitation and presentation skills
- Very good listening, negotiating, influencing, mediating and problem solving skills
- Ability to develop trust, apply and institutionalize integrity; confidentiality, demonstrate impartiality, professionalism and leadership
- Able to drive change, help others to adapt to same; demonstrates readiness to generate ideas to develop best approaches Excellent sense of accountability and compliance;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally; able to communicate the AU values of respect to diversity and team work;
- Demonstrate concentration, accuracy, high sense of self initiative and ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Excellent ability to organize and work under pressure. Inclined towards promoting and demonstrating superior results and excellence.
- Ability to come up with an innovative working system and thinking and promote implementation, in communication with those concerned; implements and encourages the use of ‘thinking outside the box’ approach.
- Excellent command of at least one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish). Fluency in any of the other four will be an added advantage.
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk..
- Teamwork and Collaboration..
- Accountability awareness and Compliance..
- Learning Orientation..
- Communicating with Influence…
- Analytical thinking and problem solving..
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for result..
- Continuous improvement focus..
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g.Rabat, Morocco Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 18,547.20 (per annum), Bamako, Mali Post adjustment (52% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 20,097.00 (per annum), Khartoum, Sudan Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$22,932.00 (per annum), and 30% of basic salary as housing allowance for all locally recruited staff, and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
14th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online