Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Mission Support
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Contract Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Supporting the Head of Mission (HoM) in security management and coordination tasks
- Ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities
- Contributing to the context analysis and follow-up
- Providing translations and interpretations according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to facilitate the mission coordination tasks.
- Supporting the HoM in promoting and protecting the MSF image externally and assisting in context analysis, disseminating relevant context information to the coordination team, regularly informing them on key issues, updating general information on the context for MSF internal documents and advising on cultural appropriateness of organized activities and individual behaviors.
- Analyzing the risks and the security level of the context of the mission and assisting in conducting risk assessments and in the development security plans for the mission and project. Advising the Project Coordinators (PCs) and HoM on aspects of security management
- Establishing and maintaining external relationships with relevant authorities and stakeholders. Keeping good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and departments and keeping up to date records of field contacts (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, etc.) verifying that they are easily accessible, in order to facilitate contacts and meetings.
- At the request of the Head of Mission, assisting the HoM or representing MSF in meetings (NGOs, official bodies and administrations, etc.) and preparing full reports.
- Ensuring the follow up of relevant administrative dossiers such as the MSF registration in the country, working permits, immigration policies, national protocols, etc.
- At the request of the HoM, preparing and conducting an information briefing, focusing on the country context for International Regional and Relocated Staff.
- Translating sensitive documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Writing letters and correspondences with officials and partners and preparing reports, internal memos and formal requests. Monitoring the correspondences in the absence of the HoM.
- Assisting in the elaboration of the advocacy plan of the mission in collaboration with the PC, MedCo and the Communications responsible and supporting its implementation and follow up.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- The Head of Mission support is a key member of the mission coordination Country Management Team and will assist the Coordination team on broader context understanding in Nigeria in the areas already mentioned above;
- Next to context analysis, support in the development and review of security and safety guidelines including the risk analysis;
- Actively participate in the development of country strategy, project documents, contracts, advocacy strategies and all strategic documents with the rest of the Country Management Team;
- Provide cultural briefings to all new members of the organisation, including a part on communications;
- Support PCs and PC assistants in broader understanding of the working context (not only security related);
- At times, act as Liaison between the Federal and State authorities;
- Maintaining the Overview of Mission Key Operational documents (MoUs, SLAs, etc.) and ensuring timely updating for renewals, whenever necessary;
- Training and Coaching the PC Assistants in the projects within the mission on the proper use and of the Security Database tool (SIMON) and correct entries of the Incidences, using correct and standard spellings for location names and incident categories;
- Compile mission SitReps for the mission and share with HoM/Dep HoM Ops for finalisation.
- Ensure external bi-annual mission activities reports are compiled and shared with the Ministry of Budget and National Planning after review by HoM;
- Actively network intersectionally with other HoM support for broader context understanding and analysis.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- University Degree or similar level of education
- Experience in similar positions in humanitarian aid, preferably within MSF.
- Strong understanding of the workings of the different administrations of the country
- Experience working in political, security and humanitarian issues in the country
- English essential, knowledge of Hausa language would be an asset
- Computer proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Good analytical skills; able to work with figures and economics data
- Excellent diplomatic skills and communictions skills(including writing skills).
- People Management and Development, Commitment to MSF Principles, Behavioural Flexibility, Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation.
Application Closing Date
29th July, 2022 (5:00pm).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted, as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.