The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Manager
Job Identification Number: 6063
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Head of Support
Supervision of: Two Finance Coordinators
Travel: Approx. 30%
Project number: NGFX0000
Duration and type of contract: 12 months
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the Finance Manager is to be responsible that the financial set up is according to NRC standard and to support programme/project implementation.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure that country set up adhere to Financial Handbook, NRC policies, donor and auditor requirements
- Implement NRC’s financial systems, routines and procedures
- Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows
- Management of financial team
- Training of line managers and staff with financial responsibilities
- Provide regular analysis and reports
- Implement anti-corruption policy
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Ensure that budgeting, accounting, year-end procedures and other financial processes take place in adherence to Financial Handbook, other NRC policies and donor and auditor requirements;
- Responsible for the development of the Master Support Budget and cost share allocations across donors;
- Maintain Country financial overview and ensure financial reporting is conducted across areas (BvA for support and project costs) and projects;
- Responsible for the quality of accounting ie financial inputs are done right, cash and advance management and balance reconciliations.
- Training, development and internal “audits” of financial teams in all offices
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures, follow recommendations on Audit, Controller and Compliance reports
- Implement and be the focal point of new financial tools in the country office
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, through working across programme and support teams and the development of relevant guidance and Standard Operation Procedures
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities to implement cash-based interventions and market based programmes by participating in assessments and response analysis discussions
- Ensure that financial archives are in used and maintained according to the NRC regulations.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Head of Support
- Country Director
- Area Manager
- Regional Controller
- Logistics Manager
- HR Manager
- Head of Program and Grants Manager
- Compliance Coordinator.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience from working as a senior Financial Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile, act as a Team player.
- Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context / Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in northern Nigeria is desirable.
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Coping with change.
Application Closing Date
2:26 PM: 18th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility.
- At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.