Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria – We attract talented individuals. Not only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group’s people strategy is our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our performance culture. We encourage and focus on the behaviours that bring out the very best from every employee, assessing their performance not just on results but on how those results were achieved. To further embed these behaviours we have a remuneration programme in place, carefully designed to incentivise our employees to live our values every day.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ED Stressed Asset Group Western Africa Portfolio Management
Ref No: 2200008578
Job: Institutional Banking
Employee Status: Permanent
The Role Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing clear milestones against which the progress of the Stressed Asset Group’s strategy implementation can be measured for  region. Responsible for the Stressed Asset Group execution tracker to monitor such progress for regional portfolio.
- Challenge and support impairment forecasts developed by First Line based upon a balanced judgement on the external environment.
- Help drive financial performance against targets including meeting long term economic risk return (RoRWA/ RoTE) goals and RWA targets for CCIB
- Help improve efficiency, speed, and productivity of capital for stressed asset portfolio and for broader CCIB balance sheet
Reinforce first-line ownership of risk and origination discipline/ Risk Management:
- Stressed Asset Group to work towards early action and improved analytics by providing likely credit migration scenarios and assist exposure management within good book itself before an exposure is downgraded to stressed category
- Work with RM teams in determining appropriate credit risk grade and provisioning on all stressed assets in the designated region
- Work with frontline teams, broader SAG, SAR and Credit Risk in the designated region to adhere to the tenets of latest CG 12 and CG 13/ 14 Roles & Responsibility documents, and to latest Problem Accounts Management Standards
- Ensure that material impairments and related issues are reported to Regional Head CPM, and Head, SAG and to relevant country/ regional risk governance committees.
- Work with frontline teams to ensure that the Group’s risk arising from litigation, environmental claims, regulatory censure or potential reputational loss in regard to stressed assets portfolio are minimised.
- Provide feedback to frontline teams regarding improvements in credit origination, documentation or early problem recognition
Reduce P&L volatility while managing returns:
- Drive continuous improvement of the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the process to increase the consistency of global systems and processes.
- Evaluate current data availability and integrity issues and adapt the Stressed Asset Group mandate for governance and resolution
- Establish strategic objectives and related performance measurement including that for break even RoTE for proposed mitigation actions, and for overall cover ratio for stressed asset portfolio keeping in view accounting value vs. economic value
Optimise liquidity and capital resources to support CCIB growth:
- Promote alignment of global priorities (product / function) with local balance sheet realities (regions/countries) while undertaking mitigation action on the stressed asset portfolio; raising awareness and understanding through pro-active, insightful engagement
- Work with the team to support & manage where applicable CPM processes allocated to the CEO, CCIB by the Group process universe in line with the ORF and their associated risks, including activities within the processes which are hubbed or outsourced
- Execute the implementation of policies & control standards set by risk control owners and policy owners where appropriate. Ensuring compliance and operating within risk tolerance and risk appetite. Contribute to the adequacy and effectiveness of the systems, controls and procedures relating to Stressed Asset Group and CPM at large, that they are regularly and independently tested, assessed and improved in a timely manner
- Ensure there is a framework for effective management of operational risks within Stressed Asset Group and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations
People and Talent:
- Lead by example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations for Stressed Asset Group business and work in collaboration with risk and control partners
- Provide effective leadership to the business, communicate the vision and build commitment and energy to focus on key priorities
- Ensure that all staff have clear P3 objectives which drive the right behaviours. Maintain Individual Accountability throughout Stressed Asset Group by having standard and mandatory objectives aligned to the Scorecard and include them in employee performance reviews, of which they are measured and rewarded.
- Ensure there are appropriate frameworks in place so that the Stressed Asset Group business is carried out within the Group’s risk appetite and reputational and credit risks are appropriately managed in conjunction with direct reports and other stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with the highest standards of regulatory conduct and compliance standards and practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines
- Ensure any audit and compliance issues relating to the Stressed Asset Group business are resolved in a timely manner
- Ensure that Risk Management matters that are brought to the job-holder’s attention are subject to direct remedial action and/or escalated, where appropriate to relevant risk committees
Regulatory & Business Conduct:
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters
- Internal stakeholders: Regional/ Country Client Coverage Heads, Global and Regional Head Stressed Asset Risk, relevant Regional/ Country Product Heads (e.g. GCM, FM Sales), Business and Country CFOs, Regional Chief Credit & Risk Officers, Regional Heads of HR, Heads of Legal, Head of Compliance.
- External liaison: Stressed Asset Groups at other FIs, Credit/ Stressed Asset Funds, Portfolio Management teams at other banks. Institutional and Private Investors, External Lawyers, External Accountants, Regulators etc
- Leverage the opportunity provided by Corporate Social Responsibility to enhance the Group’s internal and external reputation and indirectly influence the bottom line
- Promote the Group’s brand with clients, stakeholders and regulators
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
Our Ideal Candidate
- Graduate qualifications (or conversions): Post-Graduate qualifications such as MBA, CFA, Chartered Accountancy, Mathematics/ Statistics, Qualified Lawyer
- Over 20 years of relevant experience in the banking and financial services industry with hands on experience of underwriting, managing, and recovering credit exposures across both developing and developed jurisdictions
- Extensive knowledge of fundamental drivers of credit risk, documentary and legal risks, portfolio, and balance sheet management; including market and regulatory dynamics
- Extensive experience in structuring credit risk products, restructuring of credit exposures, asset distribution, and exposure to credit derivatives and asset securitisation.
Application Closing Date
7th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online