Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Duration of Contract: 5months
- The purpose of this role is to provide transportation services to Plan staff in a safe, courteous and timely manner.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria. The post holder will contribute towards the operational aspects of the office and programmes, interfacing with both operational and programme team members.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
Vehicle Maintenance and Management:
- Cleans vehicle and perform routine checks to ensure it has proper working tools on a daily basis.
- Refuels vehicle using an approved fuel voucher and records this on the vehicle log sheet timeously.
- Parks vehicle safely at designated place at the end of each working day not later than 6 pm.
- Ensures that after hours travels have prior formal approval by the admin department.
- Ensure vehicle movement log book is filled timely and regularly.
- To report immediately to the Field Coordinator, all accidents or issues involving Plan International vehicles.
- Compliance to the motor vehicle and travel policy provisions of Plan international Nigeria.
Staff and Material Transportation:
- Transports staff and designated people to all areas as instructed and with approved vehicle request forms.
- Ferries goods to required points as may be directed from time to time.
- Ensure vehicles have necessary materials such as umbrellas, first aid box, map, fire extinguishers etc.
- Ensure that all Plan assets are not left unattended in the vehicle whilst parked.
- Files in accurately vehicle log books and submits to the Field Coordinator.
- Prepares monthly vehicles’ maintenance reports for allocated vehicles.
Other Services Provision:
- Dispatch and deliver all documents between Plan and other service providers.
- Assist in sourcing for quotations towards the procurement of goods and materials for program delivery as per corporate procedures to ensure value for money is obtained
- Assist the admin unit in following up with quotations, invoices and request for payment.
- Dispatch of goods and materials to various projects offices to facilitate program delivery without any reports of loss or destruction of items
- Assist the logistics officer in the inspection of newly submitted vehicle by a new vendor or an existing one in conjunction with security officer
- Assist the Logistics officer to ensure that the administrative documents for all vehicles are available, filed and monitored for compliance and expiration both for cars and drivers e.g driver’s license.
- Receive and collate movement plan, while sharing in the new week to all staff.
- Update the daily movement board (Airport pick up/drop off and movement within/outside Damaturu)
- Organize the schedule of vehicle movements and allocate drivers to programs for all field activities
- Preparing of duty roaster for car hire drivers
- Report all cars incidents with a view to finding solutions and recording lessons learnt.
- Ensure the daily, weekly and monthly checks on all plan car hire
- Get feedback from colleague on driver’s attitude, overspending or any concern with a view to addressing them.
- Organize monthly meetings with drivers having security and admin in attendance to resolve issues if any.
- Assist Logistics officer at the end of every month to collate all used log sheets from all vendor, with invoices and request for payment to process payment for the month
- Ensure that vehicle log sheets are properly filled and signed by colleagues.
- Ensure that timely preventive maintenance is carried out by vendors on their cars as at when due
- Assist in monitoring diesel consumption of generators
- Assist in monitoring and reporting generator preventive and maintenance due hours with a view to have the admin alert the service company.
- Assist to ensure diesel for generator doesn’t go below buffer stock level
- Assist the security guards in the proper refuelling of the generators.
- Comply with Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to safeguard and protect the child at all times without any reports or incidents of child abuse.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the attainment of organizational goals.
Qualifications and Experience
- Good communication, interpersonal and computer skills
- Class B drivers’ licence.
- Advanced or Ordinary Level Certificate
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in vehicle maintenance and driving.
- Work experience in an NGO setup will be an added advantage
- Any relevant certification in driving/clerical services will be an added advantage.
- Fulfil Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to prevent children from all forms of child abuses.
- Demonstrate wide knowledge of the road network in Yobe state and all states of the federation.
- Confirmed and demonstrated successful experience in a similar role
- Good knowledge of grammar, composition, spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship with both internal and external clients
- Proficiency with PC’s and computer programs including Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability to speak more than Hausa, English and others.
- Good planning and organizational abilities
- Good supervisory and listening abilities
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Ability to multi- task.
- Good analytical abilities.
- Good time management skills.
- Maintain image of the organization by example and outmost professionalism.
- Show courtesy and being respectful toward individual, colleagues, superiors and visitors.
- Be dynamic, patient and a good time keeper
- Ability to listen and pay attention to details.
- Good team player.
Application Closing Date
31st March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online