Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Project Coordinator
Location: Anka, Zamfara
Employment Type: Indefinite Contract
- We are looking to fill the Deputy Project Coordinator position in our Zamfara Secondary Health Care Project (ZSHCP), Anka in Zamfara State.
- The Project Coordinator (PC) delegates ad hoc some responsibilities to the Deputy Project Coordinator (DPC) according to objective criteria taking into consideration sustainability in the treatment of the different dossiers.
- In general terms, the Deputy Project Coordinator will assist the PC in planning project’s objectives and priorities, by identifying the population’s health needs, analyzing the context, risks and constraints, and by calculating human and financial resources needed.
- He/she will contribute to the supervision, monitoring and follow-up together with the PC of all aspects of the projects in order to ensure its efficient and smooth functioning. He/she will replace the Project Coordinator in his/her absence.
- The Deputy PC MUST be able to remain in the project in case of remote managements due to deteriorating security situation in the project.
Generic Job Accountabilities:
- Contribute to the analysis of the political, humanitarian, economic and social context in project area in order ensure that MSF’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to employees, populations, authorities and partners.
- Contributes to the planning, supervision, monitoring and follow-up, together with the PC, of all aspects of the projects, according to the project plan, MSF operational policy and main strategic lines.
- Participate in the security management in the project, updating the security guidelines.
- Upon request of the PC, represents MSF within the project limits (local authorities, media, governmental and non-governmental bodies, etc.) and negotiates collaboration agreements. Legal representation is not delegable unless legally backed up (powers of attorney, etc.)
- Support the PC in planning and organizing project’s human resources, participate in their day-to-day management, in the induction of new staff, undertake evaluation of staff under his/her direct supervision and define training needs accordingly.
- Participate in exploratory missions according to the PC’s indications, in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs.
- To be part of the Zamfara project Security and Safety team and to participate in the security meetings and sharing security updates and analysis on the situation to guide the safe operational planning of the project.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Share with the PC information regarding the political and security situation, analyze the threats for the national and International staff, the project and participate in security and context report preparation.
- Assist the PC in every aspect, in order to ensure smooth and effective set up and running of the project.
- Develop and maintain contacts with local and State authorities and relevant actors, representing MSF in the absence of the PC.
- Know the MSF charter in English and Hausa, and promote its principles in the project.
- Follow MSF financial, administrative and HR policies and procedures, with the support of the coordination administration team.
- Oversee logistic and administrative issues. Ensure efficiencies in terms of project objectives and utilization of MSF resources.
- Assist the smooth running of medical activities and promote good teamwork amongst medical staff.
- Report to the PC regularly all relevant information on activities and problems encountered in terms of both security and objectives.
- Participate in developing Training materials and training of staff and other stakeholders on MSF and MSF activities, for acceptances.
In the Absence of the PC:
- Report by writing minutes relevant information to the PC after every meeting.
- Backup and cover the PC during leave and whenever required
- Represent the PC during official meetings (staff meetings, meetings with all internal and external parties and contacts).
- Represent the Project/Field Team to the coordination Team and vice versa, transmitting in both senses any relevant information.
- Guarantee the implementation and follow-up of MSF operational policies and procedures, for and with the PC.
- Be flexible and be able to give assistance with different activities not included in this primary job description.
- Preferably a Medical or Paramedical qualification or University-level studies;
- Desirable degree in Project Management or HR Management
- Essential previous experience of at least two years required in the field of Humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs.
- Essential working experience in Nigeria
- English, Hausa and any other local language (such as Fulani) is an added advantage.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Strategic vision_L2 | Leadership_L2 | People Management_L3 | Planning_L3 |
- Teamwork & Cooperation_L4
Note: This Job description may be amended in line with the activities or evolution of the Mission.
Application Closing Date
10th March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV) only online (only one file should be uploaded).
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one application should be submitted as multiple applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the Organisation.