The OPEC Fund for International Development is a multilateral development finance institution established in 1976. Our 12 Member Countries are: Algeria, Ecuador, Gabon, Indonesia, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Manager
- In co-operation with the Regional Director, the Country Manager leads and oversees the identification, development, appraisal, approval and implementation of Public Sector projects.
- The position contributes to the development of policies and strategies in the portfolio-countries and supports the achievements of the regional and departmental objectives and targets.
- The Country Manager is responsible for identifying and recommending options and solutions for the optimum deployment of financing resources in the portfolio-countries, including the development, implementation and monitoring of country operational strategies and business plans.
- Working together with the Regional Director, the Country Manager also leads and oversees relations with the portfolio countries and other relevant partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy development and implementation:
- Conducts regular assessments for assigned portfolio countries, to support the development of short-medium term strategies (3-year objectives) in coordination with the regional director, partners and other donors.
- Coordinates the preparation of country operation strategies, country business plans, to support the achievement of the regional business plan.
- Coordinates the implementation of the annual work plan for the assigned portfolio, in co-operation with the Regional Director, ensuring alignment with the regional and departmental objectives, targets and KPIs.
- Coordinates work with the regional director, as well as other departments on project, strategy and policy related matters.
Project cycle (project development and processing):
- In tandem with the Regional Director the Country Manager:
- Contributes to the identification of a pipeline of projects and identifies opportunities through partner outreach and project screening.
- Supports the sourcing of new projects, and co-financing opportunities, by leveraging professional networks and relationships.
- Evaluates financing opportunities, and provides support on the initial risk and financial assessments of the projects.
- Participates in project appraisal, including technical, economic, and ESG analysis, as well as project administration design.
- Coordinates and supports the full project life cycle including project identification, preparation, concept and terms clearance, due diligence and appraisal, including interface with technical and loan committee, as well as management and the Governing Board.
- Ensures that legal documentation is successfully concluded (loan signed and declared effective) in a timely manner through negotiations with Government and partners with the support of the legal counsel.
- Supports project implementation, ensuring compliance with covenants, achievement of contract awards, and planned disbursements in order to achieve the envisaged project outcomes. Contributes to the implementation of projects, in coordination with project management teams and executing agencies, developing practical and innovative solutions to facilitate implementation, resolve implementation problems, as well as incorporates lessons learnt into the project implementation framework.
- Facilitates the procurement and disbursement processes for the project, insuring achievement of contract award, as well as successful disbursement.
- Manages day to day project administration, including providing support to the team responsible for disbursements and loan servicing (repayments), and coordinating with Loan Management and Risk Management.
Capacity Building, Knowledge Sharing and Supervision:
- Recommends and supports the implementation of individual annual work program and budget (AWPB) for the assigned countries, including proposed missions and trainings.
- Contributes to institution building, and builds and shares knowledge through participation in task force groups and other meetings.
- Participates and contributes to relevant learning activities for advocacy, and knowledge building.
- Enters, updates and validates data/ information related to the assigned countries into the Management Information System (MIS/ SAP/ EDMS).
- Coaches and supervises newly appointed analysts, and interns.
- Performs ad hoc tasks assigned by Regional Director.
Partners and Relationships Management:
- In cooperation with the Regional Director, maintains active relationships, and creates new partnerships with governments, executing agencies, partner institutions with the aim of expanding strategic partnerships in the portfolio countries.
- Maintains and fosters relationships with governments’ authorities, and DFIs to maximize potential for co-financing and catalyzing resources from partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics/ Finance/ Engineering or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience.
- Preferably 2-3 years in an international development institution.
- Fluent in English. Good working knowledge of French, Arabic, German or Spanish is an added advantage.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and presentation skills ensuring messages and instructions are clearly understood.
- Able to work efficiently in a well-structured, focused manner setting clear priorities.
- Excellent ability to work in an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online