British High Commission (BHC) – The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Corporate Services Assistant, AA
Job ID: 33/22 LOS
Grade: Administrative Assistant (AA)
Start Date: 1 November 2022
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Type of Post: British Deputy High Commission
Number of vacancies: 1
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Main Purpose of Job
- This is an exciting multi-hatted role at the heart of the British Deputy High Commission. With responsibility for a varied range of Corporate Services support activity, this role assists in the effective delivery of the Corporate Services platform. Finance / accounting knowledge is required to make and monitor various transactions.
- The successful applicant will need to demonstrate that they are able to work independently with minimal supervision. They will need to exercise good judgement and they will also need to demonstrate excellent organisational skills including time management and the ability to prioritise effectively.
Roles and Responsibilities
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Manage all payments and receipts at the cash office. Ensure prompt replenishment is made and assist with preparation and authorisation of cheques from the weekly batches, if any. Review expenses and claims, daily documentation of cash transactions and ensure monthly checks are carried out by delegated authority (cash transactions)
- Preparation of all payment schedules and sending it off for processing, also ensuring any payment issues are resolved as soon as possible and Prepare debit memos and MIRs .
- Liaise with and communicate with the bank representatives for helping new staff with opening of personal accounts, contacting the back when there are ATM issues, and advice on any issue that relates to bank transactions, payments, or national regulations that may affect the mission.
- Ensure proper documentation of minutes of meeting during the regular finance update meeting, contractors meeting, CS meeting, amongst others.
- Perform other basic administrative functions: filing of documents, maintenance of bank implant files, posting of monthly exchange rates on pin board, dissemination of timely information, BT Payments list, email responses, and filing.
Human Resources (35%):
- Database management and updating of staff personnel files.
- Preparation of staff letters and documentation.
- Assist the Human Resource Officer with new staff on-boarding and enrolment.
- Maintain accurate HMO staff lists.
- Providing support to the Learning & Development function.
- Providing cover to the Human Resource Officer when required.
General Administration (20%):
- Stationary Store Management- Addressing all stationery requisitions, reorders, update of occasional stock count, proper documentation and handling of the store on Wednesdays. (Store management)
- Procurement Responsibilities- Liaise with procurement team to ensure or prevent stock out and placement of special orders; proper receipt and waybill is received. Filing of all BDHC property documents and ensuring correct item description and details.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Qualifications in Accounting / Business Administration or any other Social Science disciplines.
- At least 1 year relevant experience in Finance and HR with knowledge of accounting and payroll.
- Customer service experience in dealing with large volume of emails.
- Good working knowledge of IT. Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools – Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience in audit and financial reporting processes.
- Changing and Improving, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
USD 765.70 monthly.
Application Closing Date
28th September 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Complete the mandatory e-learning courses on arrival and develop knowledge as necessary completing the available e-learning course.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission in Lagos is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff are able to work within the BDHC but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to Obtain the relevant permit; Pay fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Deputy High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position