Plan International strives to advance children’s rights and equality for girls all over the world. As an independent development and humanitarian organisation, we work alongside children, young people, our supporters and partners to tackle the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood and enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. For over 80 years we have been building powerful partnerships for children, and we are active in over 75 countries.
Plan International Nigeria is part of the global federation of Plan International and was registered in Nigeria in 2014. Our interventions are currently focused on nutrition, protection, basic education, improving community health services, youth and citizens’ participation in governance and creating economic opportunities and livelihoods for the neediest people, building resilient communities. We implement development, emergency and humanitarian response programmes. Plan International Nigeria works with communities, civil society organizations, development partners, government at all levels and the private sector.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Production of Animation Videos on the KCC (Kotex) Menstrual Hygiene Management Project in Bauchi State
Employment Type: Contract
- The KCC Project on Menstrual Hygiene Management is a 2-year Project (May 01 2021 – April 30 2023) funded by Kimberly-Clark Corporation (Kotex) implemented by Plan International in Bauchi State with an overall objective “to increase the individual and collective agency of women and adolescent girls to exercise their rights to gender-responsive, adolescent-friendly and inclusive menstrual hygiene management”.
- With this background, Plan International Nigeria through the KCC (Kotex) funded Menstrual Hygiene Management Project in Bauchi is developing various communication materials including videos based targeted at increasing the awareness and knowledge level of Adolescent girls, boys, men and women in Menstrual Hygiene Management.
Specific Project Objectives
- Increase access of women and girls, men and boys to Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) knowledge and education, using safe traditional and innovative communication mechanisms.
- Increase women and girls’ confidence to tackle gender related socio-cultural, structural and other barriers to proper, safe and inclusive menstrual hygiene management.
- Result Area 1: Increased Knowledge and confidence among girls in their ability to manage menstrual hygiene within the context of adolescent health.
- Result Area 2: Increased confidence and participation enabled among women and girls and their communities to tackle barriers proper, safe and inclusive menstrual hygiene.
- In and out-of-school adolescent girls and young women.
- The project is being implemented in three local Government Areas (LGAs), one each from the three senatorial districts of Bauchi State, North East Nigeria.
- These are Bauchi LGA, Katagum LGA and Ningi LGA – offering a mix of Urban, Semi-Urban and Rural setting respectively.
Purpose of the Assignment
- This assignment is to develop an awareness creation platform to educate, inform young children especially adolescent girls from 10-19 years and other members of the community to have a good understanding about menstruation and menstrual hygiene management (MHM) through key messaging. This assignment is for developing 4 animation videos series with coordinated messages.
- The animation series will be a key tool to sensitize children, adolescents and youths, and acts as a key communication tool to the diverse audience in Bauchi, Katagum and Ningi LGAs in Bauchi state and all over Nigeria, as the video animations would be deployed across Plan International Nigeria Social Media Platforms. The animation series should be in line with the values, strategy and approaches of Plan International Nigeria.
Scope of Work
- Under the supervision the KCC MHM Project Coordinator and Communication Advisor, the consultant team will develop the animation videos as per the requirement stated below. These animated videos should duly follow Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and young people Protection Policy and following the branding and visual guidelines.
- Under the supervision of the KCC Project Coordinator and Communication Advisor, following process will be adhered to:
- Orientation and briefing will be given the consultants by the KCC (Kotex) MHM team regarding the context and need of the development of the Animation with considerations on situation, music, language and other related matters.
- The consultation team will prepare a detailed plan, including timeline of development of the animation series, with the key messaging and Plan International Nigeria and Kotex branding guidelines, working together with the Communication Advisor and Project Coordinator.
- Regular follow-up and feedback session will be held while developing the animation materials for the project with the Communication Advisor and Project Coordinator.
- The consultation needs to Pre-test and Post-test the communication package for clarity of messaging amongst the audience. This would be primarily done engaging with Plan International Nigeria Staff and some key stake holders on the project.
- Finalizing the project’s deliverables.
Output / Deliverables:
- The consultant would develop four (4) animation videos in English and which would also have Hausa Versions) with coordinated messages in consultation with the Plan International Nigeria project team. The communication materials have a set deadline for completion. Thus, all designs and production should be completed before hand, regular communication will be set up for the necessary interaction during development of communication materials.
- The animation series will be educational, informative with entertainment values to showcase in school outreach programmes, social media and in different events and gatherings to raise awareness on Menstruation and Menstrual Hygiene Management. The animation videos would be used throughout the project period.
- Four (4) animation Videos – in English and Hausa Versions. (story board-animatic-final delivery) under different key messaging developed under SBCC on the format that is compatible for every format (high definition, social media suitable format)
- Promotion materials for animation videos and launching event (description in table below)
- Development of the SBCC materials through the character-based designing of the project (description in table below)
- The communication materials: animation videos would be pre and post-test for the clarity and suitability of the messaging.
Target Audience of the Animated Video
- The primary audiences are adolescents 10-19 Years old, with the general populations as secondary audience. This communication model should thus be designed to make impact at the individual, family level, the community levels and in the wider society.
The final deliverables of the assignment will be as follows:
- Animation videos – 4 in English and same in Hausa version with English subtitle (between 60 Sec – 180 Sec) using latest information technology, 3D quality, that are compatible with multiple formats of visual display both in high density display screen and in social media.
The animations should be children and youth friendly. It should also consider the varieties of audiences such as person with disabilities for example it should incorporate sign language.
The appearance and the nature should reflect the ambience of the program areas: Bauchi (Northern Nigeria) The background music, geographical account and the dialect needs to be incorporated.
|Sign Language||Incorporating sign language in animation itself where possible|
|Editing and Final Output||
- The assignment should follow the following timeline for the completion.
|Activity||Est No. of Work Days|
|Call for Proposal||7 days|
|Finalization of Proposal and Agreement||4 days|
|Orientation and Briefing with Plan International Nigeria team for preparation and agreeing on story line||4 day|
|Dummy Story Development of animation Video||5days|
|Submission of Draft Animation Video, Review and Feedback||10 days|
|Feedback Incorporation into final versions||2 days|
|Wrap up with final Productions||5 days|
Consultant / Vendors Qualification and Experience
- The consultant team should have at least 3 years of work experience in production of animationvideos in either development or humanitarian context and to diverse audience.
- Good knowledge and proven experience in producing animation video materials for young people (10 – 14 years) and young people (18 – 24 years) on various development themes, particularly on Public Health, Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) etc.
- Excellent content writing, script writing and copy writing experiences
- Excellent knowledge, experiences and skills in producing animated stories, short videos for various audience, videos particularly for donor community,
- The team needs to be equipped with the requirement to produce quality product includingsufficient technical facilities
- Provide at least 2 samples of previous work done.
- Proficiency in Hausa.
Ethical and Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy
- Child protection is a term used to describe the responsibilities and activities undertaken to prevent or to stop children being abused or ill-treated. It is Plan’s duty and responsibility to reduce the risks of abuse to the children who we have contact with and keep them safe from harm. Plan’s Child Protection Policy, “Say Yes to keeping children and young people safe.”
- Plan International Nigeria is committed in its overriding framework to protect children who come into contact with Plan International employees, volunteers, partner organizations and individuals, including consultants, who are working on behalf of Plan International.
- The consultant should include statements in the proposal on how he or she will ensure ethics and child protection during the commencement of the assignment and during the field work. The consultant should also specify other ethical protocols to be followed during the due course of the evaluation.
- The consultant is expected to take consent of the respondents and/or children’s guardian before taking photographs and ask if their photographs, verbatim or case stories could be used in report and for public dissemination. Such consent must be documented and submitted to Plan International Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
12:00 PM: 13th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified Offerors should prepare a Technical and Financial Proposals and send to “Country Admin and Logistics Manager” through: [email protected] using “Production of Animation Videos for KCC (Kotex) Menstrual Hygiene Management Project” as the subject of the email.
Submit physically st Plan International Nigeria Office:
Attention: Country Admin and Logistics Manager
No 49, Anthony Enahoro Street, Utako District,
Click here for more information (MS Word)